Judi's Reviews > First Do No Evil

First Do No Evil by Carey Baldwin

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: 2012, e-book, medical-thriller, rom-suspense, june, cops
Read from June 09 to 16, 2012

One good turn deserves another, you save my life, I’ll save yours.

A seemingly innocent breakfast at the local breakfast watering hole in Flagstaff with her brother and finance ends in heartbreak and despair for Skylar Novak. Why was this happening to her again? Wasn’t it bad enough she had to lose her father to murder 15 years ago. Why must she suffer through another inconceivable tragedy and terrible loss?

Detective Danny Benson was also in the coffee shop that fateful day Jack Sprulock decided to rob Jolene’s and he didn’t escape unscathed. He can thank his lucky stars that Dr. Skylar Novak was in the diner that day. Danny noticed the good Dr. right away and even tried to engage her in a little harmless flirting. Now he owes his life to her.

Danny’s been through his own hardships, losing his wife, raising a teenage daughter as a single parent, coping with his own recovery and yet he can’t get the day of the robbery out of his mind. Some things just don’t add up and he can’t let it go. It doesn’t hurt that his suspicions give him a reason to reconnect with Sky and question her about that fateful day at the café. Now that he’s investigating the case, it wouldn’t be appropriate for Danny to pursue a relationship with Sky, but that doesn’t stop him from wanting to.

The evil villain was revealed quite early in the story. I wasn‘t sure how I felt about that and quite frankly I had my suspicions who it was. Sometimes I also think authors like to lead us down a path, only so they can go Ah-Ha later...I fooled you. Not so in this case. Since the killer’s identity was no secret, I then became very interested to see what his endgame was and how it was going to play out given his relationship to Skylar.

First Do No Evil is a great debut novel by Carey Baldwin. As the story unfolds and the action heats up, I was on tender hooks waiting to see what was going to happen next.

After reading the author’s bio - it all makes sense now...no wonder the killer is so psychotic and the medical aspects so detailed and realistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Do No Evil.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jill Great review, Judi. But I didn't think this had been released yet??

message 2: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita Can't wait to read this one. Good review Judi!

Judi The author sent me advance copy...lucky me!

Jill Judi wrote: "The author sent me advance copy...lucky me!"

That's fantastic, Judi! I'm looking forward to this.