Christina Dudley's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Apr 16, 12

Read from April 13 to 16, 2012

Rounding up from a 3.5. In the absence of faith, people find other ways to heal themselves from emotional wounds. Strayed (who chose her appropriate last name out of thin air when she divorced)runs through sex and drugs before landing on backpacking. When she decides to tackle the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert to the Oregon-WA border, the challenges of physical hardship and bodily suffering (too-small boots, too-heavy pack, etc.) help to distract from grief caused by a broken marriage, a dead mom, and a scattered family.

Many reviewers have remarked on the bravery and honesty of Strayed's memoir, and I second them whole-heartedly. Can't imagine writing so baldly about one-night stands, heroin use, and feeling horny if I thought my kids might read it! Strayed's first few weeks on the trail are also very funny, especially for this non-camper.

Things flagged once she reached Ashland, however. For some reason we plunged into detail on her one-night stand there, which I didn't think was necessary, and the remaining Oregon section seemed evenly split between guide-book-info dumps and every man she runs across telling her she's pretty and hitting on her. I get it. You were not only brave, honest, funny, literate, persevering, and courageous, you were also one irresistable smokin' hot mama. I get it.

Worth a read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just bought this book today Christina, but am currentl1y reading something else. Will you please do a review so I can see how you liked it?

Christina Dudley First chapter was quick and compelling! ;)

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Chesmore This was in the running for our book club choice this month - we didn't choose it bur may next time. I'd also like to hear what you think of it when you're finished. Thx.