Shauna's Reviews > The Gift of Rain

The Gift of Rain by Twan Eng Tan

Apr 13, 12

Read in April, 2012

Eng writes with an amazing ability to place vivid images in my mind. His prose is lyrical and I couldn’t stop reading, feasting on these pictures. What is loyalty? How do you show love for your family? Set among the atrocities of World War 2 in Malaya, Eng creates beauty even as you try to avert your eyes. I will re-read this book!

Favortie Quotes:
“…the great human capacity for choosing not to see.”

“Do not let your ties to the past – or fear of the future – direct the course of your life, because, however many lives we have ahead of us to redeem and repair our failings, I feel we have a God-given duty to live this life as best we can.”

“Who can look back and truly say all his memories are happy ones? To have memories, happy or sorrowful, is a blessing, for it shows we have lived our lives without reservation.”

“There must be free will to choose. Do you know the poem about the two roads, and one not taken?”
“Yes. That has always amused me, because who created the two roads in the first place?”

“The time had come when I had to do what was right and I would not allow myself to be deceived again by fear, by confusion, or even by love.”

“Do not let hatred control your life.”

“We were beings capable mainly of love and memory. These capabilities are the greatest gifts given to us, and we can do nothing else but live out the remembered desires and memories of our hearts. And that is the point of life itself.”

“Accept that there are things in this world we can never explain and life will be understandable. That is the irony of life. It is also the beauty of it.”

“That is the price of playing both sides. Eventually all sides mistrust you.”

“Eventually I spent most evening at Endo-san’s island. More and more I depended on him for support and I would sit in silence with him, staving off the sense of loneliness and rage. It was ironic, as he was their cause.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gift of Rain.