Jim's Reviews > Countdown to Sunday: A Daily Guide for Those Who Dare to Preach

Countdown to Sunday by Chris Erdman

Aug 25, 08

bookshelves: own
Read in August, 2008

My all time favorite book on pastoral ministry is the book Pastor: The Theology and Practice of Ordained Ministry by William Willimon. Chris Erdman's work on preaching reads very much like William Willimon's work.

This is the book I needed at this time in my ministry. I've done a lot of thinking and struggling over the first three years of my ministry on the place and purpose of preaching. In a world of preaching to meet felt needs, Erdman offers meaningful reminders regarding the centrality of the biblical text and that the essential purpose of the text is to form the people of God.

The book is not a sit down and read through from cover to cover sort of book, but rather an offering of meditations on the purpose and role of preaching within the context of the people of God. Especially helpful are the chapters that offer a glimpse into the way Erdman prepares to preach the text...a helpful and simple structure that any "busy" preacher could easily adapt.

If you are tired of your message preparation usurping the actual intent of the biblical text then this book is for you.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Countdown to Sunday.