Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Flygirl

Sep 06, 08

bookshelves: youngadult, historical-fiction
Recommended for: history buffs
Read in September, 2008

This book is about Ida Mae, a young African American woman who wants to join the WASP in World War II. Although the WASP won't take black pilots, Ida Mae is light-skinned enough that she can "pass" as White, and that's exactly what she does.

I really appreciated how Sherri Smith captured the emotional complexity that comes from trying to live in two worlds at once, and not really belonging in either. The way Ida Mae's family reacted to her "passing" was especially poignant, and the relationship between Ida Mae and her mother was more intricate than most mother-daughter relationships in YA fiction. I also think there need to be more books like this on the shelf: books that reveal the intersection of history and "minorities," since so much history is still told and taught from a white male perspective. This book definitely drives home the injustice of limiting opportunities based on sex or race.

I had a little bit of trouble figuring out who this book's intended audience were; since Ida Mae is 21, it seems older teens would be the logical readers, but this book is so squeaky clean that it feels as if the author wanted to make sure it could be read in 5th grade history classrooms. I was disappointed at how the plot felt like more of a string of events than an intentional story arc. And while I can appreciate that there *is* no easy resolution to being caught between cultures, the lack of resolution at the end of this book is a real letdown.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flygirl.