Ann Schwader's Reviews > Our Lady Of Darkness

May 16, 12

bookshelves: horror
Recommended for: Lovecraftians, fans of Clark Ashton Smith
Read from April 27 to May 15, 2012

Disclaimer: this is very much a YMMV review. Unless you are a fan of H.P. Lovecraft or Clark Ashton Smith, or interested in that circle of writers, this elegant dark fantasy might only come in at 4 stars for you. It is not "Mythos," but it does involve the life of Clark Ashton Smith (in possibly fictional detail) & refers more than once to Lovecraft & his works.

Our Lady of Darkness is an atmospheric, tightly written tale of curses, haunting, occult texts, & mystery. Although set in 1970s San Francisco, it delivers a full Gothic experience in an economical number of pages, & with very little graphic gore. Franz Westen, the haunted (in several senses) writer of weird fiction at the heart of this narrative, is a fully fleshed-out character -- as are his fellow apartment-dwellers caught in the increasingly grim mystery of what might or might not be sharing Westen's apartment. What happens to these people matters to the reader. Although the story takes a couple of chapters getting up to speed, no detail in these chapters is unimportant -- & everything comes together in a satisfyingly chilling way.

Lovers of quiet horror, modern ghost stories, or traditional creepfests should not miss this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Lady Of Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marge (new)

Marge Simon It's on my "to-read" unannounced list too, Ann! Bruce says it's even better than Conjure Wife.