Caro's Reviews > Princess

Princess by Courtney Cole

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: ya, thriller, ya-romance, series-dropped, read-2012
Read from April 13 to 16, 2012

Princess was free on Amazon when I was browsing free amazon titles (you should try it - it's addicting. and free!), so I bought it even though I'm not a big fan of contemporary stories that don't have anything supernatural in them at all.
I'm a fan of Courtney Cole's so I had pondered buying Princess before that, but the flashy cover it had before kind of scared me off.
When reading Ms. Cole's blog, I found out that Princess isn't actually a stupid story about a stupid heroine pondering what she should wear (come on - that's what you would expect from the girl on the old cover. Just look at her!), but actually a dark and twisted tale.

Turns out it wasn't all that dark and twisted, but than again, I happily eat popcorn while watching people die in horror movies.
Princess tells the story of Sydney Ross (what a name!), who "accidentally" gets pregnant. Her father, an influential politician aiming to become president, and her mother, as well as her boyfriends' parents urge her do get an abortion. Sydney refuses and leaves home, only to be targeted by a kidnapper and possibly murderer.

My main problem with Princess was that it was a bit of everything... coming-of-age story, romance, thriller, and crime, but nothing was properly developped. While reading the book, I felt it lacking in all those genres. Princess wasn't romantic, and neither did it suck my breath away with fear.
I would have liked the book better if it had had more pages maybe, and more time for all it's themes.
Overall, Princess was an ok book for me. In comparison with Cole's Paranormal books, this was rather weak.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess.

04/15/2012