GymGuy's Reviews > The Nobleman and the Spy

Apr 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: m-m-mystery
Read in April, 2012

I enjoyed parts of this book, but I still can't rave about it. It was a "nice" historical novel, but nothing really special. Here are my issues.

-- I Do speak German. There were a few errors. But what really irritated me was that "Neuenschwanderwold" is kind of a misspelling. It would have made sense as a name if it were "Neuenschwanderwald." Wold is not a word. Wald means woods or forest.

-- While the sex was hot, I thought there was far too much. I just got tired of page after page of sexual references.

-- I thought that Jonathan was weak. He was supposed to be the hero, but instead I felt he did more whining and worry. I thought that Karl was more entertaining.

-- I had problems with the 1860's view of homosexuality. While the two main characters kept things under wraps and the father despised the activity, I thought that overall, it was treated too casually for the time period. The reader would never know without reading the first chapter that this was happening 150+ years ago.

-- But my biggest problem is that this was supposed to be a story about political intrigue. There were all the elements at the beginning, but instead it ended with a total plot cop-out. Instead of the author(s) really working to end with a good political assassination plot, it ended with a rather dumb/simplistic conclusion which indicated to me that they just didn't want to put in the time and effort to really create an exciting ending that made sense with the rest of the book.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nobleman and the Spy.

06/30 marked as: read

M'rella Agree with you on all accounts.
Just want to mention that misspelling of the foreign words and failure to provide translation is my pet peeve, too.
There are so many people here from all over the world - just ask and many will be happy to proofread for you.

GymGuy Agreed. "Klagen" has a different meaning: more like a formal complaint. "Jammern" means to whine or boo-hoo about something. It's like she tried to look up the word in the dictionary but failed to get the right one.