Kathryn's Reviews > Nobody Here but Me

Nobody Here but Me by Judith Viorst

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books
Read in April, 2012

Hum. I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

I think Viorst captures very well the emotions children (and adults!) sometimes have when they feel neglected by those around them. Sometimes we want attention and everyone else is so busy. Sometimes it feels like, even if you are in a house with a bunch of other people, there's "nobody here but me." Children might act out their feeling by misbehaving, doing things that they would not be allowed to do if people were paying attention to them. That's what happens here.

On the one hand, I appreciate a book that deals with this subject. On the other hand, I really did not like this family and feel the subject could have been approached in a kinder way. The big sister is especially bratty, and I didn't like the little boy's smugness nor the extent of his destructiveness, though the end tried to smooth things over. And while I can certainly understand parents being busy and needing some time to themselves for important phone calls or emails, to ignore your child for an extended period of time (and while he messes up the house, no less!) doesn't seem quite right. It is one thing for children to *feel* ignored sometimes (when their busy but loving parents really are looking on from whatever activity they are engaged in); but quite another for them to actually be neglected.

Maybe I just expected more from Viorst, because I usually love her work :-(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody Here but Me.