Ryn's Reviews > The Goddess Test

F_50x66
Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: ya, young-adult
Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I admit that I enjoyed this book immensely. I got emotional over several parts in it, and I was rooting for Kate's relationship with Henry the whole time. And the ending (which I won't spoil) blew me away. However, I couldn't give this a four stars because of several problems. Do not let my nitpicking deter you from reading this, however, as I'm going to recommend it to my friends.

I didn't find the progression between Kate and Henry believable, though I rooted for them regardless. She fell for him very quickly, and a lot of her interest in him seemed to develop off screen, which was disappointing. I wish I had seen more of their conversations, particularly when Henry is more open and receptive to her. The book seemed to move very quickly over the weeks, which might be why I found the quickness of their relationship so jarring.

Also, though everyone will hate me for saying this, Kate reminded me of Bella Swan from Twilight--a book reader who moves into a small town and isn't really interested in getting to know anyone, but finds herself drawn into an amazing adventure. And Henry reminded me of Edward, a brooding "young" man with burdens that he doesn't want to have to bear alone but thinks he should. I normally don't make such comparisons--and unlike many readers, I don't have a very strong opinion about the Twilight series--but I couldn't quite help myself from seeing it. Despite that, I admired Kate for her strength in taking care of her sick mother. Kate, as a narrator, sometimes falls a bit flat, and the rest of the characters sometimes very one dimensional. However, this is a series and I have faith that Ms. Carter will be able to give the other characters more depth in time.

In all, I liked the book despite its problems and I will read the next one when I can.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.