Sara's Reviews > The Mockingbirds

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

Oct 21, 2013

Read in April, 2011

There are a lot of things I really liked about this book. First off, all of the characters seemed very real. They had good characteristics and bad. They made decisions, and some of them were wrong. I liked how the main character vividly imagined things and you got to see her thoughts with her. That's what it's like in my own head, so it was refreshing actually being that connected with a character. The story was great, and there were both heavy, hard to read parts and fun happy parts. One thing that surprised me was that it actually felt like she was a high school student. In most YA books, the classes the main character takes are just sort of alluded to and they just seem to have tons of free time all the time. In other YA books the only class that gets any page-time is English class where the author can tie-in a piece of classic literature with the same theme as the story he/she is telling. In this book, however, the main character talks about most or all of her classes and even mentions specific assignments she's working on, making it feel like she is an actual real high school student. I was just really impressed by this book in many ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mockingbirds.

10/13/2013 marked as: currently-reading