John's Reviews > Little Chapel on the River: A Pub, a Town and the Search for What Matters Most

Little Chapel on the River by Gwendolyn Bounds

May 02, 12

Read from April 12 to 25, 2012

Little Chapel on the River is a community study of even tempo and simple observation. I appreciated the author's reserve in description of both place and people.

Over time she lets their actions and words paint the picture of a group of people whose intersection is not in their own backgrounds or personalites, but in their desire, no, their longing for a place to step out of life for a bit to contemplate and discuss what passes by on river and road.

I had some difficulty in rating the book, though - I would give it a 3.5 stars if possible. My only complaint was that I found the stitching of the author's passages to the life around the Little Chapel a little abrupt. I confess this was mainly an issue for me in the beginning of the book when I had not yet bought into the atmosphere and people of Guinan's.

Perhaps it is just that I found the apt simplicity of the writing at odds with the events of 9/11 that led to her journey up the river - but I suppose that a return to basics does make sense in retrospect and any other method would have run the risk of overexposing the image too early on.

I would certainly recommend this to someone looking for a story of people and community.

I actually found Little Chapel mentioned in a genealogy thread for people while searching for info on the Guinan family in my great-great-grandmother's part of the tree. My Guinans happened to come from near Birr where the family in the book came from - so I thought I'd see if I could learn anything from the book.

While I did not find too much info on the Ireland side of the story, I'm glad I found the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Chapel on the River.