Carien's Reviews > Distant Waves

Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn

Apr 13, 2012

bookshelves: ya

Even though it takes about 21 chapters before the sisters in this story (with the subtitle A Novel Of The Titanic) finally get on the Titanic I really enjoyed this book.

Most books that use the Titanic either do not use it enough or can't stand on their own, but this is an intriguing story all of its own while also using the Titanic in a way that I could admire.

To be honest: It wasn't the Titanic that stole the show in this book. It was Tesla, the scientific genius who seems to be an influential figure for one of the sisters. I loved how Weyn portrayed Tesla and how she used him and other famous people in this story.

The writing is pleasant and I really liked Jane, the lead character. I did have less patience with some of her sisters, but all in all the whole cast of characters was enjoyable.

There were one or two factual errors that annoyed me (No: The Titan was not on its maiden voyage. Yes: Some people actually did disembark in Queenstown) and which could have been avoided with some research, but as the rest of the story was so enjoyable I was able to keep from grumbling too much.

All in all a compelling read and I will certainly give this book a place on my keeper shelves.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Distant Waves.