Jessie Potts's Reviews > Immortal City

Immortal City by Scott Speer

May 27, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, romance, young-adult-for-adults
Read on April 13, 2012

Scott Speer is a brand new author who's taken on the already-packed paranormal romance genre by putting a clever twist on angels.

Immortal City is filled with intrigue, corruption, and greed. Everyone is obsessed with Angels. They're on the covers of magazines, they're on reality TV shows, and most people want to be one of their lucky charges. In Speer's world, however, Angels are not the selfless creatures one would expect. In fact, Angels profit from saving people, and they even have their own version of YouTube — a channel called SaveTube.
In a city filled with girls longing to be saved by an Angel, the heroine, Maddy Montgomery, couldn't care less which hot Angel is on the latest magazine cover. It only stands to reason that the hero, Angel Jackson Godspeed, will be intrigued when she brushes him off. The two could not be more different, which is probably why their romance runs the entire gambit from hot to sub-zero freezing temperatures. Maddy believes that Angels can't fall in love, she doesn't like gossip rags, and she doesn't want to be a celebrity.
Jacks certainly feels something for her, but he sometimes causes her pain and grief. This made the romance a bit crazy. I found myself rooting for Jacks then wanting to smack him. Other times I found myself longing for Maddy to kiss him then yelling at her for pushing him away. The chemistry was clearly there, but since they were from such different worlds, they had very different ways of dealing with it.

Speer doesn't just give readers a romance to fawn over, he also gives us a serial killer, one who is targeting Angels and leaving their wings for the police to find. When Jacks is targeted, he and Maddy must put aside their differences, and figure out what they really want from life and from each other. I really enjoyed the murder/mystery element of this book and I had no idea who the villain was. There was no foreshadowing or anything, which made the story fresh and new. The ending was also highly surprising and now I have to wait for the sequel before I'm able to sort it all out.

The angel genre has definitely been stuffed to the brim lately, and I found it immensely pleasing that Speer went a different route with his Angels and their behavior. The brand name dropping got old after a while and will only serve to date the book in later years. Nonetheless, this is exactly the type of book you'll want to read after a stressful day. Your mind will eat up all the fluff and you won't have to think too hard.

As a debut novel, I think Immortal City shows off the author's imaginative writing skills, and I think that given time each book will be better and even tighter. If you like angels, romance, mystery and one heck of a surprise ending, I urge you to pick up this book and enjoy. It's a quick read that will have you de-stressed and smiling.

Read more on USA Today's HEA Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal City.