Gohomelefty's Reviews > The Reapers are the Angels

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell

Apr 14, 12

It's kinda like Reese Witherspoon in the movie "Freeway", but with zombies, and without the constant high octane pacing or bizaarness. If you've seen "Freeway" you know exactly what I'm talking about, and if not, well, then you should see it already--IT HAS KEIFERSUTHERLAND Y'ALL!

Anyways, what can I say--I liked the book. I read some negative reviews on it, and I think it's fair to say that the naysayers just didn't get it, and maybe were expecting just another zombie book. This story is more like "Walking Dead", the TV show (I haven't read the books), because it focuses more on the living. And the dialogue is kinda like "Mark Twain" speak. This is understandable since our main character is uneducated, as a result of the zombie apocalypse y'all. So, yeah, I guess you could say she's like the female Huckleberry Finn on a road trip riddled with zombies. She meets a lot of folks along the way, people that befriend her, and others who want to see her dead. She's experienced tragedy in her life, and perhaps sees a way to make up for some of her mistakes when she helps out and takes care of an oversized man she affectionately calls, "Dummy." Honestly though, as deadly as our main character is (yes, she's a survivor), at heart she's a big softy-Damn that bleeding heart!

Other reviews have described this work as beautiful, and I have to say, that's true--There is a kind of beauty to it (I'm not sure how), a beautiful sadness to the story that kept me reading to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reapers are the Angels.