Kelly Hager's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Apr 14, 2012

Read from April 13 to 14, 2012

In this novel, the world is overrun by plague. Millions of people have died, and the ones who are left---the ones who can afford it, anyway---wear masks. After her twin brother Finn died, Araby has stopped caring about anything. She spends her nights at the Debauchery Club, drinking and doing drugs. Her days are spent recovering from the nights. And then she meets two guys. Will runs the club and Elliott is her best friend April's brother. She's immediately drawn to Will but for various reasons, she has to pretend to be in love with Elliott.

It took me a few chapters to fall in love with this book, but once it happened, it happened fast and hard. The world that Araby lives in is terrifying. The plague is so contagious that it's killed well over half of the world's population (we're never told exactly how many, but Araby's father---a scientist who invented the masks---says that it's "too huge...to comprehend") and so everyone lives in fear. The masks are expensive and also only work for the person who first uses it, so it's not like people can even steal it. (Which is good for the rich people, I guess.)

I think the reason it took me a while to get into it is because the first few chapters are all about Araby's attempts to numb herself from the world she lives in. It's understandable, of course---her brother is dead, and they were twins and best friends. She can't forgive herself for not dying, and even besides that, she lives in a world where she could get sick at any time. (Even the masks won't keep her 100% safe. It helps but it doesn't make her immune to the plague.) Still, though, a few chapters in, she stops with the self-medicating and then it gets amazing.

I cannot wait to read the second book! Highly recommended.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

04/23 marked as: read