Jennifer Messenger's Reviews > Evidence of Things Unseen

Evidence of Things Unseen by Marianne Wiggins

Apr 13, 2012

liked it
Read from April 13 to 17, 2012

This book was sort of like a road trip; history flew by in the window that was Fos and Opal's eyes. The writing is incredibly beautiful, but the sheer mass of the beauty nearly overshadowed the characters. History was almost more important than the characters, and in the end I hardly felt as though I knew Fos and Opal. Time just floated by, which I think was an effect done purposely, but it left me feeling dizzy. Characters blurred into one another--partly because quotations were not used for dialogue--and time sometimes jolted forward months in a single paragraph. I loved the expanse of the novel, and how terrible things happened with absolutely no apology (at one point, halfway through the novel, I had to put it down for a couple of weeks because I was so unhappy with something that happened) and also how flawlessly the feeling of the era was captured--when I think about how much research this novel must have taken it blows me away--but there was still enough of a disconnect for me that I didn't love it, only liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evidence of Things Unseen.