Erika's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

May 02, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, romance, fairy-tales-retelling, science-fiction
Recommended to Erika by: My curiosity
Recommended for: Readers who can bear unbelievable cliffhanger
Read from April 13 to 14, 2012

Sometimes in your life, you find books that change you... Wait. Did it sound too dramatic? Oh fine. Sometimes in your life, you find books that change your reading life. Some of them affect you in a good way, while some left you with a bad mood. Well, we know bad mood is not the worst case you can get. When you read a book which you have high expectations for but as the story goes, things go south, dreams are shattered, and you can do nothing about it. It can left you with a broken heart, frustrated mind, and a state of an unexplainable feeling which require a therapy. I mean, reading-a-very-good-book kind of therapy, not a psychiatrist kind of therapy.

Which happened with me and Cinder. So let me tell you our story. It's called Beautiful Disaster.

It began when I saw the cover. It's gorgeous, isn't it? Yeah, as many readers do, my fall began with the beautiful cover. From the cover alone it gives you some hints of fairy tale with futuristic elements. An android Cinderella. Super cool, right? Plus, I love fairy tale.

Then I read the blurb. Future, New Beijing, deadly plague, humans, androids, the lunars and their evil eccentric queen. Awesome. We have Cinder, a cyborg mechanic. We have Prince Kai, a soon-to-be emperor. We have forbidden love. Sweet.

I'd been dying to read it. I'd tried to avoid the book knowing the sequel will not be available until 2013. I was afraid I'd fall in love hard with the series and can't help myself to wait for a year to read the next book. But my curiosity won over my healthy mind.

Cinder started beautifully. She is the best mechanic. She's kind and so lovable. She lives with an evil stepmother, another evil stepsister, a kind stepsister, and a nice android friend. New Beijing is a great place of Eastern Commonwealth communities. They are ruled by an emperor and Prince Kai is next to the throne. He has all the charm and not to mention, oh-so-sweet manners and attitudes. The plague is called Letumosis. It infects the humans randomly. Once a human gets infected, quarantine is a must, and the final result is always death. While the people of earth are struggling to find the vaccine, the people of the moon which known as the lunars, want to take over the world. I really, really, enjoyed the beginnings, except for the info dumping that occurred way too early.

Despite the info dumping that made some of the mysteries became as clear as crystal, I was still enjoying it. I felt empathy toward Cinder and Prince Kai. She's trying the best she could to survive not only in the chaotic world but also in her so called family, a family that only care with getting her out from their life. Prince Kai, on the other hand, is a young man who's not ready to accept his destiny, to rule the Eastern Commonwealth. As the story goes we get to know more about Cinder, the lunars and their intentions, the burdens and conflicts of Prince Kai, the researches to find a vaccine. So many things were going on which left only a tiny winny little space for romance between Cinder and Prince Kai to develop.

Entering the second half of the book, it was starting to give the hints of a big disaster which was already coming. At least coming for me. More info dumping occurred, it was killing my curiosity. Reaching the few last chapters of the book, dramas were starting to happen. The climax was the plot, the royal ball. I couldn't believe that there were quite a lot of cliches happened at a single event. I also thought the fairy tale essence was overwhelming. I can't reveal the dramas that happened at the royal ball, but as for the example of the fairy tale issues without revealing the plot:

1. The figure of Prince Kai as a celebrity among the girls. I know he's a Prince, he's handsome, he's charming, and this is based on Cinderella story. But this is also a story that takes place in the post apocalyptic world where people are supposed to be busy to survive against the deadly disease and the lunars. So in a world where humanity are threatened to extinction, does the vision of all the girls population swooning over the young prince -even just mentioning his name make them swoon- make any sense?

2. Cinder hides all the truth about her to prince Kai, it is quite obvious but he doesn't have any suspicion about her?

At this point, despite my issues, I was liking the book enough to rate it around 3.5 to 4 stars. BUT, there's still the ending.

So, finally. The ending. The big disaster. GIF time!

Right after I finished Cinder:
I can't review this right now. I'm so darn angry.

Day 1 post Cinder:

Can't review. Having a therapy with one of my cheer up books.

One week post Cinder:

Now, two weeks post Cinder,I can finally describe how I felt in words. Here's what happened. While I was still sad and shaken with anger because of what happened to some of my lovable characters, something very important was happening in the story, and suddenly...

Yep, and then there was nothing. Page blank. The End.

Was it so bad?

Well... by the time I finished it, I wasn't happy at all, neither was I satisfied. It left me while I was still shocked, sad, and broken hearted. So yeah, the ending was a disaster. Remember when I said some books change your reading life? Cinder is going to be my last book with cliffhanger ending which I read before the sequels is published.

I will continue the series, I guess, but I'm not dying to read it. If it had ended with a better way which left some justice to me as the reader, I would have liked it enough to count the days to the next book publication date.

Summary
Great and creative idea, fabulous world setting, could have been better character arc and plot arc, and shouldn't have ended that way.

There goes the longest review I've ever written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

04/13/2012
2.0% "Ooooooohooohoooww... I'm already falling in love with this! *happy dance* How is it possible? It's too early! But Cinder is so cool. And did Prince Kai have to show that oh-so-cute attitudes? *giggles* Slap me. " 3 comments
04/13/2012
11.0% "Lunars were a society that had evolved from an Earthen moon colony centuries ago, but they weren’t human anymore. People said Lunars could alter a person’s brain—make you see things you shouldn’t see, feel things you shouldn’t feel, do things you didn’t want to do. Their unnatural power had made them a greedy and violent race,... (So we have Lunars, cyborgs, and humans. Very interesting)"
04/13/2012
17.0% "What's going to happen with Cinder? Oh Adri you evil stepmother!
"
04/14/2012
29.0% "Kai, I can't imagine if I were you. Where do you lay down such heavy burdens?"
56.0% ""
84.0% "Uh-oh...
I really don't want this to happen." 1 comment
04/14/2012
88.0% "Tell me this is not happening. I don't like the plot."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Uh, oh! Get it out of your system then grab a nice palatte cleanser *cough* The Shadow Reader *cough* and let the bad vibes go. ;o)

Mimi Smith Nooo, Anna, Erika's starting Outlander *makes calf eyes*, right?

Erika LOL... I wish I can read The Shadow Reader now but I have a promise to keep. *whisper* You know how dangerous Mimi can be if I don't keep my words.
You go first with The Shadow Reader, Anna. And tell me if it's good ;)

message 4: by Erika (last edited Apr 14, 2012 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erika Mimi wrote: "Nooo, Anna, Erika's starting Outlander *makes calf eyes*, right?"

See?

Mimi Smith That was pleading, not dangerous. Geez, you're paranoid. And, actually, I'm joining Anna *squirms*. I'm just taking a break! And waiting for you to catch up. I'm on spring break, so I have nothing to do, so I read a lot and read fast, so I'll finish the Iron Fey books on time, no worries :D

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Mimi wrote: Mimi Smith That was pleading, not dangerous. Geez, you're paranoid. And, actually, I'm joining Anna *squirms*.

'Squirms'? What's that about, hmm? You will read it and feel happy! *cracks whip* :o)~

@Erika...Have fun reading Outlander! :o)

Mimi Smith I was squirming because I'm taking a break with Erika's Iron Fey series/exchange read to do one with you(and I fear her wrath *bites nails*)

Erika I just want to cry. Hate when I was loving the book so much and then it went all the wrong way. Broke my heart.
There's no picture for my disappointment. *sobs*

Mimi, yeah no problem.
Thanks Anna, I hope so.

Mimi Smith I'm sorry you're disappointed Erika ((hugs))
And, I appreciate the understanding. Will try to reciprocate, you know, once in a while :D

rameau It was the ending, wasn't it?

Erika Mimi, I'll tell you my problem with it later when I'm in reasonable state of mind. To summarize: dramas, misunderstanding, more dramas, and a WTH ending was that????

message 12: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Okay, will talk later :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Oh, poor Erika! I'm sending you a smile... ^__^...no, wait...^__^another one!

Erika rameau wrote: "It was the ending, wasn't it?"

Ending and the dramas... *sigh* This is why exactly I hate cliffhanger. Not fair to the readers, IMO.

Thanks Baba! yeah I need smile on my face *hugs*

message 15: by Rane (last edited Apr 14, 2012 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Awww don't be sad

Erika Raneeeeee!! I need you...

again!

rameau You scared me. For a moment there I thought you would be talking about this.

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ Oh, you poor dear...
[image error]

Erika rameau wrote: "You scared me. For a moment there I thought you would be talking about this."

LMAO!! http://www.smileycodes.info

Erika Rain Hart wrote: "Oh, you poor dear...
"

Aww.. cute kitty! :D Thanks Rain sweet http://www.smileycodes.info

rameau Erika wrote: "rameau wrote: "You scared me. For a moment there I thought you would be talking about this."

LMAO!!
Oh I'm so sorry Rameau, I didn't mean to scare you. I just borrowed the titles ;)"

That's a relief.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Great review, Erika! Love your gifs! ;o)

Erika Thanks Anna *hugs* Haven't seen you for a while...

message 24: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith So, you finally wrote a review, huh? Poor, traumatized Ricky :).

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Erika--my laptop won't boot. iPod is pain to scroll, chat, etc...Plus haven't read much after last book binge...eyes are tired. :(

Erika Finally babe! http://www.smileycodes.info

Erika Poor Anna... I left something on your profile :)

Ronyell Awesome review!