Sam's Reviews > The Surgeon

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

M_50x66
Apr 13, 12

Make no mistakes, 'The Surgeon' is an excellent specimen of the crime genre. Were this an exclusively crime-based site I would have little hesitation in giving it one more star. The trouble is, either crime writing is easier than most other writing or the world is blessed with fantastic proponents of it. Being a Michael Connelly fan I can safely say that Gerritsen matches the quality of his works but the problem is neither are 'writers' per se, they are engrossing story-tellers but not artists, I therefore find it quite hard to compare books like this with ones from other genres.

So the reason I give this a slightly average 3-stars is that like many crime books it is a rather cheap thrill - I read the book immediately after my girlfriend and upon discussing it at my completion she had already forgotten several parts of the storyline. I have faced the same problem with many books in the genre.

Overall then if you're after some 'easy' reading that will mildly titillate, maybe by the pool-side, then you could do worse than this. The plot is a tad more gruesome than you might expect if you're used to Connelly but there are pleasing depths to the characterisation.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surgeon.