Melissa's Reviews > The Book of Air and Shadows

The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: never-again
Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1, unfortunately

The Book of Air and Shadows is definitely not what I expected. Like other reviewers, I found myself struggling to get past the first 50 or so pages but I forced myself to because I was hoping for some redeeming qualities. There were none, save for the decoded Bracegirdle manuscript pages which I found more interesting than the actual storyline revolving around them (and hence a 1-star rating rather than zero). The main character, Jake Mishkin, is so unlikeable, and the author goes through such great pains to unnecessarily describe his sexual escapades and cad-like behavior that more than once the story goes on tangential rants. Even Mishkin notes he's speaking "off-topic" on more than one occasion, but does that stop him? No. The ending seemed forced and I got the impression even the characters knew that. In many instances the dialogue didn't read naturally. At the beginning, I really wanted to like it but the book ended up not being worth my time. (P.S. Queens isn't as abysmal as Mishkin would have you believe. ;) )
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Air and Shadows.