Lacey's Reviews > Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key by Jack Gantos

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: eced-221

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key is about a very energetic boy who just cannot seem to sit still. He is always getting himself into trouble and drives his teacher crazy. He takes medicine but when it is not working he can’t help but to be all over the place and does not follow the rules. Throughout the story the reader sees different perspectives of Joey and people in his life describe the way they see him.

The story was very well written. The plot was easy to follow and even though it showed many different perspectives it was easy to understand and really gave the reader a better understanding of Joey. The characters are extremely relatable to people in the real world. Joey is a young boy who is struggling with ADHD and faces challenges daily on trying to have good behavior and follow the rules in the classroom. Joey’s grandma is there for him like most grandmothers would be, but in some cases is a little clueless in what to do with him, also like some grandmas would be in the real world. Joey had faced some problems in his home life with parents and I am positive many children can relate to that as well. The events are very plausible and easy for children to believe. Joey’s ADHD symptoms can be not only irritating to him but also to others involved in his life. Some children may relate to him by having gone through the same daily struggles and some may relate by knowing someone that has ADHD. The resolution is believable and shows that Joey can find the help he needs and be happy doing so.

I really enjoyed reading this book. At times my heart ached for Joey; he is just a young boy and has already been faced with so much in life. He is trying to learn to deal with his ADHD and control his behavior. He has problems at home, his mother is an alcoholic. At school, his teacher is always annoyed with him. If I were to use this book in my classroom I might use it to introduce ADHD to the students and show them the challenges that someone with this might face in the classroom. I want my students to have an understanding for differences in individuals and be able to accept each individual for who there are. Differences are beautiful and what make us who we are and I plan to make sure my students understand that and be proud of their own uniqueness.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key.