Nate D's Reviews > Amnesia Moon

Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem

Mar 25, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi, favorites
Read in October, 2007

Easily my favorite of Lethem's Dick-influenced "Concept Sci-Fi" beginnings, Amnesia Moon is part post-apocalyptic pulp, part episodic road novel, part Wizard of Oz reworking, and part surrealist philosophizing. It's pretty heavy on the familiar or cliche plot devices -- village of mutants, amnesiac protagonist, authoritarian local government, alien conspiracies, the subjective nature of the world -- but thrown together with fresh vision and panache into a truly unique work. Takes some truly unexpected turns and renders some really gripping scenes that resemble little before or since.

Writing this review finally, a year and a half after reading this one, I'm bumping it up a star and seriously wanting to read it again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amnesia Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick I read this book a long time ago, like in middle school or something like that. I remember not liking it too much but I've thought about reading it again. Things I remember from it are an abandoned movie theater and a TV-monitor preacher, which I thought was sorta lame, and reminded me of something from Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor.

Nate D The story is packed with very deliberate cliches, but I think they're mostly justified by the central conceit. But I do wonder how I would have reacted to the book if I wasn't already familiar with Lethem from his later novels, as you must not have been, reading the book when you did.

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Yeah, it was reading Gun, With Occasional Music, and realizing they were by the same guy and he's famous now and one of my arch-nemesisisi, that made me want to go back and read Amnesia Moon again. At the time I only took it at face value, and I feel it probably deserves a revaluation.