Angus Mcfarlane's Reviews > The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives

The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: science
Read from April 16 to 20, 2012

This was far froma random walk through the history and application of statistics and probability to ebryday life, although the typos in the last chapters of the kindle version might support the opposite conclusion. Although many of the topics are familiar to late high school/early university maths courses, the history, anecdotal illustrations and examples are woven together to build an enjoyable story of what is generally considered to be a dry topic. Most of the examples are not heavy on the maths (I would have preferred a little more!) so the book should be accessible to most readers regardless of their self-perceived numeracy skills. Hopefully the book is read by a wider audience than those who have a professional interest, since there is broad relevance for most of us. The last chapter offers an encouraging perspective on coping with the vagaries of a random world on our need to be in control, at least in part, of our destinies.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drunkard's Walk.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane White Oh this looks good!
Is it yours? If so, are you a book-loaner? Coz I'd love a quick flick through (as Im also "reading"4 others at the moment)

Angus Mcfarlane For those I know to value books and reading....yes, I lend. I read it on kindle/iPad so I'm not sure if this makes a loan between Perth and Vienna easier or harder!

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane White not sure how many Janes you know, but this one is just down in Hampton Road ... so probably wont make a difference! :-)
I don't (yet) own either one of those things so I guess that makes it harder. :-)
However, if the mothers day fairy delivers, i'll come back to you.
BTW - Im telling Ben Im happy with a kindle but he thinks i should get an ipad - despite them being so much more exe. do you ahve both, and if so, do you prefer reading books on one or the other?

Angus Mcfarlane Ha! What are the chances... I assumed you were the other Ja(y)ne on my goodreads list because of the science connection (with her and her husband)!
Regarding the iPad/kindle I think the kindle (Sonja's) is probably better for reading, but for other things (e.g angry birds, family tree history, cricket updates and weather) iPad wins easily...unless you are wanting to type lots of stuff in which case a (kindle)/laptop combo might be the best option!

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane White oh i love that kind of non-fiction book - but usually prefer to borrow from my dad (Its right up his alley) as I cant read the whole things ... I find a "flick" thru is more my style.
cheers re kindle / ipad info. i think I should jut get a kindle as all i want is a book that won't clog up my shelves. I dont yet feel the need for all the other stuff (at 3x the price)