Jeanne's Reviews > Why Men Lie

Why Men Lie by Linden MacIntyre

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: canadian
Read from June 28 to July 01, 2012

Effie McAskill Gillis is a university professor who has had her share of troubled or complicated relationships with men over the course of her life, including an abusive father damaged by the war, her brother Duncan, a priest working with the homeless, and several marriages to weak/needy men. She lives in a lovely home in Toronto and owns a house on Cape Breton where she grew up, and where she now spends her summers. She is relatively content with her life. Then she runs into an old friend from the past, JC Campbell, now a television journalist, and begins a new relationship. Will her romance with JC be any less complicated or troubled than any of her others? Has she learned anything at all about men and their seemingly inescapable need to lie to women?

This book started off strong and I liked Effie very much, but it seemed to veer off in too many directions for me. Most of the men in her life are either not very likable or hard to get to know, and her former husbands don’t seem to want to let her go completely. We also don’t meet any girlfriends. The only important other woman in the story is her daughter. Surely Effie would have some solid female friends with whom she could discuss some of her problems and who could support her through her luckless romances.

A few things are a bit hard to swallow: JC’s involvement with the criminal on deathrow; his relationship with his daughter and grand-daughter; the increasing violence in his life—the beatings he undergoes and the sudden deaths of two men he’s connected to; Effie’s chance encounter with a seemingly nice young man, turning into something threatening… In general, I like books that don’t tie up all the loose ends, because that seems more realistic. But in this case, there were just too many strange situations and too many unanswered questions. That, coupled with the fact that I liked Effie and thought she deserved better, left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied with this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Men Lie.