Timeforme's Reviews > Slave

Aug 13, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: read-paranormal-fantasy, dollars-10-to-5, 2-star
Read from April 13 to 14, 2012

** spoiler alert ** My main objections to this book came when the sisters (Jack and Ranata) met up and the background of Statzeel was brought to light. First of all, you can candy coat stuff however you want, but if you can be sold, you are nothing but a piece of property (sort of like a car or piece of furniture that can be resold whenever a newer model is needed or money is owed to someone else). You are not in charge of anything and you are deluding yourself if you think you are running the planet...the planet's women didn't run anything, they were nothing more than a commodity that could be sold or bartered or given away at the convenience of the men.

By the same token, I found it completely insulting that the women were artificially inseminating each other and then passing the kids off as their master/husband's. I found this especially distasteful as the women were professing such love for the men. What kind of love can such a breach of trust actually support?

Those plot twists sent this book from good to so-so and actually shifted it perilously close to don't like. I don't know that I will read any more of this author's books since I found two of the basic premises of the book to be so insulting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slave.