Kari Anderson's Reviews > Home Front

May 30, 12

bookshelves: audio-book
Read from April 13 to 24, 2012

From Gooreads.com
Like many couples, Michael and Jolene Zarkades have to face the pressures of everyday life—children, careers, bills, chores—even as their twelve-year marriage is falling apart. Then an unexpected deployment sends Jolene deep into harm’s way and leaves defense attorney Michael at home, unaccustomed to being a single parent to their two girls. As a mother, it agonizes Jolene to leave her family, but as a solider she has always understood the true meaning of duty. In her letters home, she paints a rose-colored version of her life on the front lines, shielding her family from the truth. But war will change Jolene in ways that none of them could have foreseen.

When tragedy strikes, Michael must face his darkest fear and fight a battle of his own—for everything that matters to his family. At once a profoundly honest look at modern marriage and a dramatic exploration of the toll war takes on an ordinary American family, Home Front is a story of love, loss, heroism, honor, and ultimately, hope.

Man Kristin Hannah sure knows how to write an awesome book and every single one of them I read/listen to proves this even more. In every Hannah book I have read/listened to, there has always been an awesome female lead, or two. Her books always push the limits on friendship, strength, family and even life. They are always tear jerkers and always make you sit back and think, whether it be about making sure your marriage doesn’t take the same path as one that is troubled in these novels, or whether you would make the same life altering decisions that some of these characters had to make. If I can relate to a book in any way, shape or form and it makes me think about my life at any time, I am in.

Now when it comes to relating, I have not much of anything in common with Jolene in this book and I mean throughout the entire book. Her parents died, she became a soldier, she spends her days flying helicopters and taking care of her children, she and her husband have a very strained relationship….oh and she goes overseas to fight in a war. So, as I said, nothing in common. But I felt a very strong connection with her. She is such a strong woman that you cannot help but admire her and then when “tragedy strikes” it completely changes and you have already grown so close to her that you want nothing more than that strong wall to crumble.

Jolene isn’t the only one your heart breaks for. Michael is a working man. He spends several hours a day at the office and a couple of hours a day on the road to and from work. He gets home late and really has no idea what all his wife goes through on a daily basis. I am not saying this to be biased about a woman’s job at home. This proves to be true and Michael admits it when he becomes the mom and dad of the household when his wife fights for freedom. I think there is much to be said about a man who can learn and grow and that is exactly what Michael does in this book and my heart grows for him throughout it.

We have all seen the commercials and news stories about soldiers leaving or coming home. You may even know a family or two who has been through this. But since this isn’t something I see often in my personal life, I don’t necessarily think about the mothers going overseas and leaving their children behind. This book definitely opened my eyes to a world that I have heard about, but have not seen with my own eyes or heard first hand. Although I know this is fiction, it was so real and so heartbreaking, you can’t help but want to hug a soldier when you are done.

I give Home Front 5 bookmarks.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Front.

04/18/2012
50.0% "Nothing like a good cry on the way to work listening to Home Front. Good thing I didn't have time to do my makeup yet. #goodreads"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha That's funny, I'm sitting here crying over "War and Peace". I'll wait to put my makeup on too!

Kari Anderson Martha wrote: "That's funny, I'm sitting here crying over "War and Peace". I'll wait to put my makeup on too!"

Martha I have never read War and Peace. It's so intimidating!

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha Kari wrote: "Martha wrote: "That's funny, I'm sitting here crying over "War and Peace". I'll wait to put my makeup on too!"

Martha I have never read War and Peace. It's so intimidating!"

I read it years ago (about 25) and I did it as a challenge, but this time I am reading it just for enjoyment, and I am TRULY enjoying it. It is not bad at all. Excellent little stories of 4 different families. I think you would like it, just take your time -- do an audio book-- that would be great for your rides to and from work! Hey, if you enjoyed "On the Street Where You Live", and followed that fine, this will be a cinch. (tee hee)