Renee's Reviews > Miracle For Jen: A Tragic Accident, A Mother's Desperate Prayer, And Heaven's Extraordinary Answer

Miracle For Jen by Linda Barrick

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: biography

The Bible says that the Holy Spirit living inside a Christian is like a treasure hiding in an earthen vessel. What happens when the fragile vessel housing that precious treasure cracks and breaks? The brokenness provides an even greater opportunity for God’s Spirit to shine.

Just so, my friend’s mother, who suffered from Alzheimer’s, could not remember her own name but somehow knew every word of her favorite hymns and Bible verses. Or my learning-disabled student, who could barely retain enough information to pass a class, was able to memorize Bible verses and understand biblical concepts. Or take the example of Jen Barrick.

What is Jen’s story? On the night of November 5, 2006, the Barrick family was driving home from church when their van was struck by a drunk driver. Fifteen-year-old Jen suffered multiple skull fractures and severe brain trauma and was not expected to survive the night. But against all odds, she did. As she lingered in a coma, doctors warned that if Jen ever woke up, she would be cursing and screaming in confusion due to her brain injuries.

The doctors told her mother, Linda, “Brain injury patients are agitated, confused, and in pain. Often reviving patients are violent, lashing out with arms and legs, fighting and swearing, using words you couldn’t imagine the person even knew.”

But that’s not how it happened for Jen.

Instead, she woke at 3 a.m., praying.

Though Jen could not communicate with her family beyond a few slurred words, she remembered whole portions of the Bible and every praise song she’d ever learned—and spoke them clearly.

Linda writes, “While her battered body lay in a hospital room in Virginia, her spirit stood in the throne room of the Almighty.”

Those who heard Jen’s first middle-of-the-night prayers thought God was going to take Jen to heaven right then. But Jen’s prayer gave Linda hope. “Whatever happened from now on, I [Linda] knew that Jen was the Lord’s and He had blessings to shower upon her along with great work to do in His name.”

Miracle for Jen chronicles Jen’s journey through brokenness. Though she lost much, she gained a connection with God that few have while here on earth and a powerful ministry. Jen’s story renewed my appreciation for God’s gift of life and reminded me why I can trust Him with all that I am. It would be difficult to read this book and not be changed. The publisher gave me one coupon for a free copy of the book to giveaway. Stop by my blog Doorkeeper to enter the giveaway!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle For Jen.