Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl's Reviews > The Sweet Scent of Blood

The Sweet Scent of Blood by Suzanne McLeod

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, witches-mages
Read from April 13 to 14, 2012

Now this was a little gem. I've been reading a lot of PNR & UF books lately, particularly with vampires in them. I freely admit I am on a vampire binge right now and have no intention of stopping any time soon. This little story was slightly different from the rest although definitely featuring vampires, the main protagonist is a fairy. But that is not where the differences occur.

Faeries and vampires tend to go hand in hand, but what I truly liked about this take, were the vampires themselves. Not your average romance novel vamps. They are seriously evil, although we keep hoping there is a hint of something good in amongst all those venom ridden fangs. Still, the author managed to make me squirm time and again, simply by making the vampires not fall into that familiar category of Mr Nice Guy who just happens to suck blood.

It's not a Noir style novel. It still has a lighter side to the mystery unfolding, but the vampires in this one just spice it up from your average PNR. You want to like them, but they really don't have that many redeeming qualities to cling to. But we still hope.

So, a nice surprise and surprisingly well written. It flowed, was adventurous, a page turner from page one and kept me intrigued to the end. Enough so to make me download the next two in the series and earmark the fourth for when it gets released later this year. All from reading book one. That tells you what sort of impression this book left me with.

Now, despite saying all of that, it is still not quite good enough for my Top Reads Bookshelf, I'm going with a solid 7/10: "Good solid read, something to get your teeth into" on the NBRS.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Scent of Blood.