MJ Nicholls's Reviews > The Acme Novelty Library #20

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, merkins
Recommended to MJ by: Paul
Read on April 13, 2012

Yes, this one was spectacular. I don’t know anything about the Acme Library except I missed the preceding nineteen novels, but the life and death of Jordan Lint was beautifully designed. A truly pioneering way to tell a simple story, leagues ahead in the originality and wittiness stakes. Like a dream that becomes a nightmare, beaming life back at us in all its horrible inevitability. I read portions of this in The Book of Other People, so completing the piece a year later was a prolonged pleasure for me. Chris Ware is not readily available in the UK, so I lament the fact I might never read another entry in his library. Sad face. Mommy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Acme Novelty Library #20.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Paul nil desperandum, I may have to invest in more of these...!

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Have you read Jimmy Corrigan? Also, I can vouch for the excellence of #18 if you can find it.

message 3: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls Paul: Please do so entirely on behalf. All I can give you in return is a ridiculous amount of likes.
Lee: Sadly that august exemplar of the GN genre is not available at my local library. But I will bare him in mind when I get rich.

message 4: by Lee (last edited Apr 13, 2012 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee you can get it used for eight stone or whatever you people call it these days:

Nate D This one is also marvelous: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acme-Novelty-.... Number 18 (likewise great) is pretty crazily out of print even here in the states, sadly.

Alexander Don't miss the oversized omnibus:

I've given half a dozen of those as gifts over the years.

Alexander Acme Novelty 16-20 are post-Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth, centering on Rusty Brown and his friends, enemies, and relations. (Jordan Lint is Rusty's bully in the earlier volumes.)

Ware's best from 1-15 are anthologized in the above linked omnibus, in the canonical Jimmy Corrigan collection, and in another oversized album called Quimby the Mouse: Or Comic Strips, 1990-1991.

message 8: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls Thanks, gents!

message 9: by Karl (new)

Karl Suprised you have not read more comics. You are scottist and no Grant Morrison?

message 10: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls All in good time, my mass-commenting friend, all in good time.

message 11: by Karl (new)

Karl There's a full moon out tonight, the commenting wolf is on fire! Try Animal man, now that's how you do metafiction.