Emily (Book Jems)'s Reviews > Desires of the Dead

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!

I loved reading The Body Finder. The plot and characters were so original. I was captivated by the blurb and sucked into an amazing story. It was unlike anything I've ever read before. I mean, a girl who finds murdered bodies - both human and animal? Who could come up with something as creepy and brilliant as that? Kimberly Derting. That's who. After finishing The Body Finder, I couldn't wait to get started on Desires of the Dead.

Also, Kimberly Derting is wonderful. Not only does she write an awesome story, but she is a super nice person. My mother went to a stop on the Dark Days Tour where she met Kimberly, Dan Wells and Jill Hathaway. So not only is Kimberly a cool person, but my mother is, too!

Violet and Jay are wonderful together. There relationship is great, especially for one in their teen years. I really enjoy reading about coupes who had started out best friends. They love each other so much, in many different ways that it makes their love better and more real than any other. Jay is so swoon-worthy. Violet is a great match for him - when she shares what's really going on behind the scenes! Thank goodness Jay really loves her and has the patience to let Violet figure things out for herself.

Violet's family and friends are also pretty awesome. Since Violet's "gift" is kept secret, the only people who know are her family and Jay. I love that Jay has kept this secret for her. Though I wish that she could find other to trust. It must be hard having to hold this part of herself inside. Her friends aren't extremely involved in this book, besides one: Chelsea. Chelsea is such a teenager. I don't mean that as an insult, but really, she is very immature. I can understand why Violet doesn't tell her.

There are a few new characters introduced in this book. Some that will hopefully play a big role in Violet's life further on down the road. I really loved everyone who was brought into her life. They each had their own role in shaping the woman that Violet is becoming. I can't wait to see what is store for them all next!

There are twists and turns in this book that have you running into walls… And I may mean that literally... Ms. Derting really knows how to pull you into a story. There were several jaw-dropping moments in this book! I'm still reeling over what happened. At points in this book, I literally shouted for Violet not to go alone and to look behind her and WHY DIDN'T SHE ASK JAY TO GO LOOK WITH HER!? Oh lordie, that girl really grates on my nerves when she does reckless things! I swear, she'll give me a heart attack one day!

Shhh… shhh… let me just swoon over Jay a little more.

This book is a fast read, even though it's over three-hundred and fifty pages. Once I got into the book, I wasn't unable to stop reading it! Violet's voice is just wonderful. She is so intuitive! Her voice and story kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire book.

The covers for this series are gorgeous. Eye-catching and seriously beautiful. And while the books aren't about flowers, the haunting beauty of the flowers and darkness on the covers really work for the books. AND THEY ALL MATCH. Oh boy, did that ever make me happy. I love matchy covers!

This book was awesome! I loved it and recommend the entire series for everyone . ONTO THE NEXT BOOK! WOO!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desires of the Dead.

05/07/2012 page 100
28.0% "I love how mysterious and creepy Kimberly's writing is. This book is going to be just as awesome as the first!"
show 1 hidden update…