Vex's Reviews > DEAD[ish]

DEAD[ish] by Naomi Kramer

Apr 12, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012, read-own-kindle
Read from April 12 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

What a fun read! I enjoyed this so much that I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.

We meet Mike. He has a problem. He murdered his girlfriend and now she's haunting the crap out of him. Not just run of the mill Caspar the Friendly Ghost pranks, but mean and nasty ones. I especially enjoyed when he woke up to discover Linda has coloured his hair blue, eyebrows green and skin orange - as Mike puts it, "I look like a smurf, a munchkin, and an oompa loompa had an orgy and I was their love child." At the brink of despair, he seeks out assistance from an "exorcist" to rid himself of his vengeful ex. Unfortunately for him, his "exorcist" is actually a private investigator hired by Linda to help her find her body.

After the cops arrive to his house due to a noise complaint (Linda blaring the stereo early the in the morning), he ends up going to jail thanks to the pot plants Linda has placed in the living room. While he is in jail, the sordid tale of Linda's demise becomes apparent through discussions with Mike's neighbours - a flamboyantly gay couple who are a lot closer to Mike and Linda then we are initially led to believe.

This story is filled to the brim with foul language and suggestive scenes. The tone is very casual and the dialogue is exactly what you would expect from the characters. It all comes together in such a skillful way that you really find yourself feeling close to the characters - which can be rare in short stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read DEAD[ish].