Erin's Reviews > One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus

May 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, historical-fiction
Read from April 12 to May 06, 2012

Tough one to review. This book was recommended to me by a friend and I found the premise intriguing... What would have happened if the United States Government had actually agreed to trade 1,000 white women to the Cheyenne Indians in order to assimilate the two cultures? The author Jim Fergus started with a historically based question and created the likeable character of May Dodd, sharing with us her journals of her experience as one of those brides. Trouble is, it didn't really read like true journals. Written by a woman. In 1875.

And there were other small annoyances, too. Why, for example, do authors find the need to write in irritating dialogue with an overdose of italics? And how many times did I really need to read the phrase, "Good God!"

Despite its faults, this novel did get me thinking. It made me try to imagine this land that I live in a little over 100 years ago. Has life really changed as much as it has in the past 100 years? And Fergus did his research. He got me thinking about the portrayal of Native Americans, on one had the savage villain, on the other hand noble and victimized.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand White Women.