Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear's Reviews > Defiance

Jan 01, 13

Read in January, 2013

5 FREAKING STARS.

I LOVED IT.

Haven't read anything so strong, powerful and equally emotional in a long time.
The plot, the story, the characters, everything, was so powerful, it seeped into me, my brain, my mind and made me wept. I haven't cried since finishing Daughter of Smoke and Bone a couple of months back.(':
I LOVE Logan and Rachel. I can't wait to see what happens in Deception.

All I want to do to this book is:

Maybe I am already doing this in bed. But thats for me to know.

GO READ THIS BOOKS FOLKS. Loved it!

EDITS:
I HAVE IT!!
.....................................................

OMG.
WHY WON'T YOU RELEASE EARLIER!!
I WANT YOU SO BAD!

Excerpt of Defiance by C.J. Redwine:

"She grins and yanks her weapon free. “For someone who spends his days hunched over boring old papers, you sure know how to create a nice killing stick.”
Time to teach her who she’s dealing with. “I didn’t grow up in South Edge without learning a trick or two,” I say as I pick up Jared’s Switch. “Sheath your blade. We’ll count a solid touch from the blade end as a strike.”
She sends her blade back into its hiding place, widens her stance, and rolls to the balls of her feet. I walk toward her, the resolve I feel to protect her blazing into something hard and bright in the face of her courage.
“I spend my days hunched over boring old papers, do I?” My stick whistles through the air, and she leaps back to dodge the blow. Spinning, I tap her with the sheathed blade before she can raise her arms in defense.
“My point,” I say and don’t bother hiding my smirk.
She circles me. “Lucky shot.”
I lash out again, but she’s ready. Blocking me with the middle of her Switch, she whirls beneath my outstretched arms and slams the weighted end into my thigh.
Pride keeps me from swearing at the pain. Instead, I sweep her feet out from under her. She flips in midair and rolls forward as she lands, coming up with her stick ready.
The controlled grace of her movements would make Jared proud. I decide the warm emotion sweeping through me must be pride too.
“You’re quick. That’s good,” I say, advancing toward her.
“You’re not bad for a tech head.”
We block, parry, and break apart. She’s strong and quick, but I worry she doesn’t know how to anticipate the unexpected. I step back, inviting an attack, and she charges forward, swinging the weighted end of her stick like a butcher slicing the head from a sheep. I wait until the last second, then drop to the ground and ram her with my shoulder. Her forward momentum carries her over the top of me and she lands face first onto the grass.
She spits dry blades of grass from her mouth, and swears, but a new respect for me is in her eyes.
I laugh, and my fear for her eases into something I can use to focus on planning. She stares at me, a tiny smile flitting across her lips, and the affection on her face makes me feel like the richest man in the world.
“I was a fighter long before I was a tech head.” I offer her a hand up. “You need to be ready for an opponent who does the unexpected.”
She takes my outstretched hand, closing her soft fingers over mine without breaking my gaze. The sun blazes a golden path through her fiery hair, and my eyes slide over her pale skin and come to rest on her lips. Warmth pools in my stomach and spreads lazily through me as I tug her hand and pull her closer.
I’m not going to kiss her. That would be … I don’t know what that would be. I can’t seem to think straight. All I see is Rachel, filling up my empty spaces and making me into more than I ever could be on my own.
Maybe this is what family does for each other. She’s my family now. Which is why, even as I lean toward her, unable to tear my gaze away from the softness of her mouth, I tell myself I’m not going to kiss her.
She steps toward me, face upturned. I lean in.
Behind us, someone clears his throat."

I officially hate the person who came up behind them. HATE THEM. :'P

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

09/28/2012 page 14
3.0% "OH LOGAN. OHH MY. :')

Where are guys like you in this world? AND WHY DON'T THEY EXIST?"
09/29/2012 page 30
7.0% "How I love a girl with that determination! :')
Oh Logan..
It's only the 30th page but--
LOGAN YOU SEXY SEXY NERDY BASTARD. JUST KISS HER ALREADY. KISS HER KISS KISS KISS!!!!!!!
Well-- Im done.
Back to reading..."
10/19/2012 page 30
7.0% "SO officially LOGAN McENTIRE is my new book boyfriend ladies and gentlemen.
oh, and-- the story is pretty bad-ass. <3 LOVES RACHEL." 2 comments
10/19/2012 page 77
19.0% "SO officially LOGAN McENTIRE is my new book boyfriend ladies and gentlemen.
oh, and-- the story is pretty bad-ass. <3 LOVES RACHEL."
11/19/2012 page 78
19.0% "Aqsa is totally preceeding with her readng now.
TOTALLY.
Even though she has 12 books to finish and aasdfghjk... Yeah. You get the point. " 15 comments
11/25/2012 page 88
21.0% "Awww.
CUTENESS. <3
He cares!

12/26/2012 page 88
21.0% "I am BACK ON TRACK. Well, sort of.
12/28/2012 page 90
22.0% 5 comments
12/31/2012 page 164
40.0% "oh God. :O this is so sad. :("
12/31/2012 page 166
41.0% "Aahahahahah! Poor Logan! Boys will always be boys.
Logan:
Me:
12/31/2012 page 166
41.0% "Aahahahahah! Poor Logan! Boys will always be boys.
Logan:

Me:
12/31/2012 page 245
60.0% "I want to cry.
01/01/2013 page 338
83.0% "OMFG. FINALYY!!!!!!!!!!!!"
01/01/2013 page 357
88.0% "FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY !!!!
How effing cute was that! <3 :')

01/01/2013 page 360
89.0% "Soooooo, the first 90% of the book was all about:
Yes I couldnt find a better gift. Sue me.
and the last 10% is about:
Yes. Minho knows what I'm talking about!(;"
01/01/2013 page 360
89.0% "Soooooo, the first 90% of the book was all about:
Yes I couldnt find a better gift. Sue me.
and the last 10% is about:
Yes. Minho knows what I'm talking about!(;"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kadbury(Young Readers) So I'm confused .Have you or have you not read this book?

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear I haven't read it yet unfortunately!
This is a excerpt from a blogger who luckily got the chance to read Defiance. CJ even posted this excerpt on her website. :)

BUT I WANT IT SO BAD!

Kadbury(Young Readers) OH . If you want more teasers (short quotes ) you should see my review too.WAIT on second thoughts ....That would be torture .So stay away till this book comes out :P

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear OMG. TOO LATE.
ALREADY ON YOUR PROFILE! :'D :'D

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear Oh the TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Kadbury(Young Readers) Aqsa wrote: "Oh the TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :("

I warned you!

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear Well-- I am a sucker for spoilers-- or actually teasers-- So I dont blame you for telling me-- BUT-- I WANT THIS SO BAD. Did I mention that?
Ready to give up my first born child for this..
*CRIES*
IF I ONLY WON IN THAT 500 Giveaway of yours! :(

Kadbury(Young Readers) Aqsa wrote: "Well-- I am a sucker for spoilers-- or actually teasers-- So I dont blame you for telling me-- BUT-- I WANT THIS SO BAD. Did I mention that?
Ready to give up my first born child for this..
*CRIES*
..."

I didn't post any spoilers in my review .DID I? *having mini heart attack* I hate giving spoilers goes to re-read her review!

Reem Finally , hu ? You are reading it ?

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear OH YEAH BABY. xD <3

message 11: by Reem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem YAY, great, I am too, see you when you are finished with it , BTW I already love Logan , not that I didn't love him from the book describtion !!LOL

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear LOL. I KNOW.
HE ALREADY SEEMS SO AMAZING. <3

message 13: by Reem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem Totally, my God, the book is awesome .Something new and unexpected turns out every second !!!

Hermione Lucky! I'm waiting to read this when I'm not so busy ... Damn school ;__;. I'm so excited! ><

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear LOL. I bearly got into it! :(
SCHOOL IS JUST AROUND THE GODDAMN CORNER. :P
Starting on the 5th! :(

I HAVE TO FINISH THIS BEFORE IT STARTS.

Hermione Lucky again! School starts in America around the end of August. I'm already in school. I think in Canada my friends told me it starts around September 5th or 6th.

message 17: by Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear (last edited Aug 30, 2012 10:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear YES IT DOES.

OH boo. :( What year are you in?

JUNIOR YEAR HERE I COME. B)

Well.. not that Im actually ready for it. :p

Hermione 8th grade year ... ? xD

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear LMAO.

NO WAY. xD

You're in college aren't you? I knew it.

Hermione .... LOL, I'm serious.

I'm turning 14 this September. xD

message 21: by Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear (last edited Aug 31, 2012 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear Really?
Wow! Im kinda surprised!
You're one of the most decent and mature 13 1/2 year olds I've gotten to know. :)

And Im glad I did. xD

Oh, someone stop the cheesiness.

Hermione Well, I'm a little older than thirteen and a half. I'm like ... thirteen and three fourths. xD

But thank you! I'm pretty mature for my age, lolz.

Oh yes please.

Hermione YOU'RE READING IT? :O buddy read

message 24: by Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear (last edited Nov 25, 2012 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear OH MY GODS.

YES YES I AM.

YOU WANNA?
What page!!?>

Hermione Lol, I don't know. It's an ebook. But I'm at the part where (view spoiler)

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear WOAH WOAH WOAH.

Im NOT there yet ! :/

Im kinda far behind!

Oh. NM then. :(

message 27: by Hermione (last edited Nov 26, 2012 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hermione No problem! I can wait. xD

edit: Where are you then?

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear Im actually waaaay behiiiiiiiiiiiind.

(view spoiler)

Hermione Ah? o.o I haven't gotten there yet! I'm where (view spoiler)