bananananas's Reviews > An Artificial Night

F_50x66
Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from April 12 to 13, 2012

I liked this book in the series better than the previous one. We learned a bit more about the world that Seanan McGuire has created, and a little bit about the background of one of the characters. I enjoyed it, but there were aspects of this book that weren't so great.

For instance, how many times is she going to go into the lands of the villain? I think once was enough, twice I could see, but THREE times? And the third time wasn't really explained too well. I mean, I get why she did it but really she didn't need to. And that's probably my biggest issue with these books. Toby just keeps running from here to there and back again, without thinking or planning. And while that may work in other series, it doesn't really work with someone who comes across as dense as she is. And she is dense, because some things that are right in front of her face take her far too long to notice.

I really want to like Toby and this series, but being told over and over again what a hero is and what a hero should and shouldn't do, and how she decides she might as well be one since no else is... it just gets tedious. We get it, she's a hero but at the same time she hasn't gotten over her depression and she's sort of trying to get herself killed, meanwhile her friends who she's somehow drawn to herself (I can't imagine why, since she's never really let them in) don't like seeing her get herself hurt but she does it anyway.

I don't know. I feel like something is missing from these books but I can't really place it just yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Artificial Night.