Karyl's Reviews > The Master Butchers Singing Club

The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012, library-reads
Read from April 25 to 28, 2012

I really wanted to LOVE this book. Recently I just finished another very descriptive, beautifully written book (The Mercy of Thin Air), and I felt this would fall along roughly the same lines. It is a beautifully written book, for sure, and it's lyrical and wonderful and flowing. The problem is, I couldn't get stuck in to the book, as it were. I kept reading, but I didn't really care so very much about what happened to any of the characters. I kept reading not so much because I wanted to find out what happened, but more because I knew there just had to be more to this novel.

I do have a slight issue with the title. I realize that authors don't usually have a whole lot of control over the title of the book, as it's more a marketing ploy than a description of the novel. But when something is called The Master Butchers Singing Club, I do expect it to have *something* to do with a singing club of master butchers. There is one in the novel, but it's introduced and then simply left there for the rest of the novel. It's been pointed out that many of the male characters the book focuses on were in the singing club, but I would have liked more focus on the singing club if that indeed is going to be the title.

The afterword mentions that the photo on the cover is the author's grandfather as a young butcher, who fought for Germany in WWI and whose sons fought for America during WWII. I found that quite fascinating.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master Butchers Singing Club.

04/28/2012 page 343
88.0% "And she read—that was something, too. People followed her appraisals or withdrew books from the library that displayed her neat and forthright signature on the cards tucked into cardboard pockets inside the back cover."