Erinn's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: kindle-ebook, steampunk, books-that-make-me-blush, chicks-that-rock, braaaaains
Read from April 12 to 24, 2012

When it comes to world creating, this author did a bang up job. Few authors put in as much thought as Brook did in creating a history for her story to fit into.

However introducing the reader into this world and getting them familiar with some of her terms, she didn't do so well at. So with that in mind there are two words any reader should get deffinitions to before they start reading the first chapter.

Buggers: Buggers are people with nano agents in their blood. Recent immigrants end up getting them on purpose in order to exist in London's polluted air, but the locals were infected so long ago that their children were born with them.

Bounders: Bounders are people that had British decedents and have moved back to London, now that there aren't any evil Horde ruling the place. Bounders don't have infected blood and generally look down on anyone that is a Bugger, whether it was voluntary or not.

I think this book could have profited from a well written prologue. I could have gone through a short history of London and the Horde and given the definitions I just mentioned. Unfortunately the author just jumps right in and you have to wade through the first chapter. Don't worry, the book picks up with Chapter two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.