Sunny's Reviews > A Modest Proposal

A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

May 18, 12

bookshelves: 1305-read, gutenberg-project-rox
Read on May 18, 2012

This is the same guy who wrote Gulliver's Travels, and he's sassy, and funny, and kind of a smart ass. Here's the gist:

LOL! It's refreshing (or disturbing, depending on your outlook) to know that many of the issues we have today were also issues almost 300 years ago. Your president (or prime minister, or other governmental leader who is likely blamed for your country's likely current economic / social woes) was not alive 300 years ago, and probably didn't cause them. Of course, they haven't exactly fixed them either. LOL!

Swift's modest ridonkulous proposal, he claims, would solve the following issues: religious conflicts, poverty, increase economic resources, reduce the pesky problem of having to deal with the ugliness of child-rearing (think teenagers), increase tourism and local economic growth, promote proper marriages, deter child abuse as well as spousal abuse, and reduce taxes.

Sign me up.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modest Proposal.

05/18/2012 page 9
19.0% ""I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy Child well Nursed is at a year Old, a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome Food, whether Stewed, Roasted, Baked, or Boyled...""