Aestas Book Blog's Reviews > Bared to You

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: book-1-of-my-fav-series, 6-star-books, favorites
Recommended for: Anyone who likes HOTT love stories about FUNCTIONAL couples :)
I own a copy

6 +++ stars!!!!

SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! HOLY. FREAKING. GOD. THIS. BOOK. IS. BEYOND. AMAZING.

This book was absolute perfection for me!! It had me swooning, drooling and panting over Gideon Cross and had me reading for the better part of it with the world's biggest grin on my face. It was the perfect blend of heart warming, HOTNESS , and seriously tortured Alpha hero (and heroine).

The story is told from the perspective of Eva Hammel, a 24 year old girl who comes from money but wants to make it on her own in the world. She chooses to start at the bottom and work her way to the top and gets a job in an advertising agency where she meets the guy who owns the company she works for (and pretty much everything in NYC) Gideon Cross and its just an instant connection between then. Sparks fly from the first glance. And things go from there.

Gideon Cross is just pure perfection in my eyes! He is tortured, passionate, controlling, but isn't afraid to admit he f*cked up, tender, possessive, gorgeous , absolutely and utterly in LOVE with his girl... <3 <3 Gah! my heart is bursting here! <3
He's so messed up but he's trying his absolute best to be everything his girl needs him to be. I love how on the outside he's this unobtainable larger-than-life god but on the inside, he's just a man who wants to be loved by his girl.

"Oh, Eva." He rubbed his cheek against my damp face. "I must've wished for you so hard and so often you had no choice but to come true."

"What do you want, Gideon?" I asked softly.
He caught me to him and cupped my cheek in one hand. "I want to keep feeling the way I feel when I'm with you. Just tell me what I have to do. And give me some room to screw up. I've never done this before. There's a learning curve."

There are a lot of wonderful book couples out there but the thing that made me just LOVE this book was how fuctional Gideon and Eva were. Despite both having very messed up pasts, and both having their fair share of f*ck ups, they worked through everything functional and passionately in a way that deeply warmed me heart. I loved how open and honest they learned to be with each other. They both made mistakes but they were understandable mistakes, nothing that make me want to throw my Kindle at the wall, nothing where I couldn't understand the reaction they had, and they always talked everything through after. I loved how their love for each other made them stronger than any problems that came their way. It was so refreshing and heart warming.

[This relationship] is going to be a lot of work, Gideon." I warned him.
"I'm not afraid of work." He was touching me restlessly, his hands sliding over my thighs and buttocks as if caressing my bare skin was as necessary to him as breathing. "I'm only afraid of losing you."
I pressed my cheek to his. We completed each other. Even now, as his hands roamed possessively over me, I felt a thawing in my soul, the desperate relief of being held - finally - by the man who understood and satisfied my deepest, most intimate desires."

I loved how neither of them were man-whores or virgins before meeting each other. Not that I have a problem with either one. But it was refreshing and realistic that they had both been in a normal amount of relationships for a couple of mid-twenty year olds.

I also LOVED the side characters. Eva's boss Mark and his partner Steven were delightful and fun. Her bi-sexual room-mate and best friend Cary was just so lovable. He was the ultimate big brother character with his own set of problems - I really really hope he gets a HEA. He so deserves one! We don't get to see much of his past, but you can tell its really heart-breaking. I loved how he knew Eva so well, he just knew when something was wrong just by looking at her.

"I want there to be happily-ever-afters for the f*cked up crowd. Show me the way, Eva honey. Make me believe." ~Cary

And did I mention how utterly HOT this book was?? I swear I was fanning myself from the moment they met (which was pretty much right at the beginning) till the very last page.

For those of you wondering about the connection between this book and Fifty Shades, I'd say they have about as much in common as Fifty Shades does with Twilight. Sure the basics are similar, mega-billionaire hero who is possessive of his girl... wait, no, that's it actually. The BDSM element is utterly UNlike Fifty. There is no contract or anything like that, and it only comes up about 70% of the way through the book, and only briefly at that. Its more about the sexual control, but even then, its not about the kinky f*ckery the same way that Fifty was. But don't let that deter you, this book is HOT, SEXY, deeply emotional, and a serious page turner.... I found this book more deeply emotional than Fifty and I loved Gideon even more than Christian which is saying a lot cuz all of the Fifty books are on my 6 star list.

"You forget who submits, Eva,” he said gruffly. “I’ve given up control for you. I’ve bent and adjusted for you. I’ll do anything to keep you and make you happy. But I can’t be tamed or topped. Don’t mistake indulgence for weakness.”

… and gah, the library scene!!! *dies* seriously HOTTTTT

I just loved seeing these two people from such tortured and broken pasts coming together, finding peace in each other, making things work… its a beautiful story!!

“I love you, Gideon.”
“God.” He looked at me with something that resembled disgust. Whether it was directed at me or himself, I didn’t know. “How can you say that?”
“Because it’s the truth.”
“You just see this”—he gestured at himself with a wave of his hand. “You’re not seeing the fucked-up, broken mess inside.”
I inhaled sharply. “You can say that to me? When you know I’m fucked up and broken, too?”

The ending was in a perfect place. Happy, resolved but leaving me biting my nails waiting for October to pleeeeease get here faster!!

We'll never be over, Eva. ~Gideon

This is a MUST read!! I’m buying it in hard copy to put on my favorites shelf and know for sure that I’ll be rereading it many times!! *swoon*

CASTING:

For more of my reviews, come visit http://aestasbookblog.com
Or join http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aestas-...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bared to You.

Quotes Aestas Book Blog Liked

Sylvia Day
“I want there to be happily-ever-afters for the fucked-up crowd. Show me the way, Eva honey. Make me believe.”

“I love you, Gideon.”

“Because it’s the truth.”

Sylvia Day
“You forget who submits, Eva,” he said gruffly. “I’ve given up control for you. I’ve bent and adjusted for you. I’ll do anything to keep you and make you happy. But I can’t be tamed or topped. Don’t mistake indulgence for weakness.”

Sylvia Day
“I’ve always seen you, angel. From the moment you found me, I’ve seen nothing but you.”

Sylvia Day
“Are you sleeping with anyone?”

The question was asked so casually it took a second to process what he’d said.

I inhaled sharply. “Why is that any business of yours?”

He looked at me and I saw what I’d seen the first time we’d met—tremendous power and steely control. Both of which had me taking an involuntary step back. Again. At least I didn’t fall this time; I was making progress.

“Because I want to fuck you, Eva. I need to know what’s standing in my way, if anything.”

Sylvia Day
“It's probably best for me to work off some energy before I get you naked. I'm sure you'd like to be able to walk tomorrow.”

04/21/2012
1.0% "starting this... I reeeally need a book with tortured heroes, heavy romance, plenty of steam and a happy ending. I hope this is it!" 5 comments
04/21/2012
3.0% "Oooooo *grin* hello gorgeous! This is EXACTLY the kind of book I wanted to read :))"
04/21/2012
4.0% ""He wasn't just beautiful... He was enthraling. The kind of guy that made a woman want to rip his shirt open and watch the buttons scatter along with her inhibitions. I looked at him in his civilized, urbane, outrageously expensive suit and thought of raw, primal, sheet-clawing f*cking.""
04/21/2012
8.0% "I've been grinning like an idiot since the beginning. I LOVE this book!!!" 8 comments
04/21/2012
11.0% "Ooooo Gideon Cross... You have stolen my heart <3"
04/21/2012
16.0% "Oh my god *dies* is it possible for a guy to get any HOTTER?????" 3 comments
04/21/2012
24.0% "HOLY FREAKING HOTTTNESSSS!!!!!!!!!"
04/21/2012
30.0% "beyond utterly in love with this book!! HOT HOT HOTTTTTTT!!!! *fans self* oh Gideon Cross *drool/swoon/faint/pant* ... Its 2am and I can't stay up any more but I'll be back at reading the moment I wake up! ... I know what I'll be dreaming about *sigh*" 4 comments
04/22/2012
30.0% "Okay back to reading... Must get to the infamous library scene :))" 9 comments
04/22/2012
32.0% "Ooo I love Cary!!! He's such a perfect big brother figure. I hope he gets a HEA"
04/22/2012
41.0% "The HOTEL scene!!!!!! God this book just gets hotter and hotter and freaking hotter!!!!" 2 comments
04/22/2012
43.0% "Omg my heart is breaking. Gideon is pure perfection !!!!!!! <3 tortured, passionate, controlling, but isn't afraid to admit he f*cked up, tender... <3 <3 my heart is bursting here!"
04/22/2012
67.0% "Oooooo the LIBRARY scene!!!!! Mmmmm I'm beyond utterly in love with this book <3" 3 comments
70.0% "Holy. Freaking. God. *SHIVERS* :)))))" 2 comments

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I will be looking forward to seeing what you post.

Aestas Book Blog I'm think I'm gonna Reread Bared To You before moving on to anything. I loved it just that much!

Aestas Book Blog A Dark Kiss of Rapture (Renegade Angels #.5) by Sylvia Day was one of the ones recommended to me. But I know nothing about it. I'll read it eventually so I can let u know when I do, or you'll have to let me know if u get around to it first

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Please keep me posted. If you think of any others please let me know. Thanks.

Aestas Book Blog Will do :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I am looking for something to read. You have any great suggestions?

Aestas Book Blog Have you read Slammed? What about The Bronze Horseman?

Aestas Book Blog Or Thoughtless? Sempre?

★Ruth★ Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "Have you read Slammed? What about The Bronze Horseman?"

And she's off LOL

Aestas Book Blog Ruth wrote: "Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "Have you read Slammed? What about The Bronze Horseman?"

And she's off LOL"

Oh hush. Lol. Dont make fun. You know I'm a compulsive enabler

★Ruth★ Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "Have you read Slammed? What about The Bronze Horseman?"

And she's off LOL"

Oh hush. Lol. Dont make fun. You know I'm a compulsive enabler"

And I can't talk since I'm loving it LOL

Searock Best review ever. Passionate, delightful. Love.

Aestas Book Blog Searock wrote: "Best review ever. Passionate, delightful. Love."

aaaa thank you Searock!!! you are too sweet <3

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer Great review Aestas. I just finished about 5 minutes ago......Totally freaking awesome book. I am in love/lust with Gideon.

Aestas Book Blog thank you Chelle :) I totally know what you mean!! He's tied with Alexander for first place on my "list" lol

message 66: by Wendy (last edited May 06, 2012 08:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Great review Aestas! I agree this book is awesome! Loving the pics too. :)

Aestas Book Blog Thanks Wendy :))

April Welch Love your avatar!

Aestas Book Blog Lol thank you - it's actually a picture of me from one of my "non-fashiony" shoots :p

Bakudis Your Eva Pic sooooo beautiful :)

Aestas Book Blog Bakudis wrote: "Your Eva Pic sooooo beautiful :)"

I'm so glad you like it :)

Aestas Book Blog Another snippet from book 2, Reflected in You, was just posted on Facebook by Sylvia Day:

“See something you like?” he purred, pleasuring himself.

Astonished that he’d taunt me after denying me, I looked up... and my breath caught.

Gideon was smoldering, too. I couldn’t think of another word to describe him. He was watching me with a heavy-lidded gaze like he wanted to eat me alive. His tongue slid leisurely along seam of his lips, as if he were tasting me. When he caught the full lower curve between his teeth, I could’ve sworn I felt it between my legs. I knew that look so well... knew what came after it... knew how ferocious he could be when he wanted me that badly.

It was a look that screamed SEX. Hard, deep, endless, mind-blowing sex. He stood on the far side of my shower, his feet planted wide, his insanely ripped body flexing rhythmically as he caressed his beautiful cock with long, slow strokes.

I’d never seen anything so blatantly sexual or boldly masculine.

“Oh my God,” I breathed, riveted. “You are so fucking hot.”

message 73: by Aish (new)

Aish You guys are hilarious, I died reading all the comments LOL. OK so I read fifty and BTY and I loved both books. Now I am just waiting for the next book to be released, in the mean time I would like to read something similar to BTY since I liked it better than fifty, I am more into the whole love and romance thing and not soo much in the kinky sex and the red room of pain thing fifty had lol. I also like the Billionaire characters for some reason lol, so help a sister out and tell me good books like BTY with Billionaire heroes :). I finished BTY in 3 days lool.

Aestas Book Blog @Aish: I don't really know of any other "Billionaire" themed books but I did see this on a list today.

Bare in mind, this isn't a recommendation from me directly. I know nothing about the books. But I saw they had a billionaire theme and have relatively high ratings so check them out and see if they look good to you. If not, there are TONS of other amazing books out there I can recommend, just not necessarily 'billionaire' themed

message 75: by Aish (new)

Aish Aish wrote: "You guys are hilarious, I died reading all the comments LOL. OK so I read fifty and BTY and I loved both books. Now I am just waiting for the next book to be released, in the mean time I would like..."

@Aestas, thank you so much for suggesting these, I got the sample on my ipad already will check them out :), thank you and yes please do suggest any good books, I guess the billionaire/millionaire falling for the normal girl caught my attention lool, I am a sucker for that kinda story but I am happy with any that are similar to fifty or BTY books, I've checked online and most of those that were suggested didn't do for me. The sleeping beauty books, thoughtless and other similar books didn't come close to fifty for me for some reason, I got BTY after I was looking for something similar to fifty and was happy with but it was soo similar it upset me a little because I felt like I was reading 50 again lol, I am happy to have found it though. Thank again and thanks in advance.

Mary Mustachio I gotta like this comment, if for nothing more than the SQUEEEEEE! that starts it :)

Zaina Wow! I like your take on Eva and Gideon with the photos! I agree!! MUCH bigger emotional connection in Bared to You.

Aestas Book Blog Thanks guy :))

Kelly Love this book can't wait 2 read the next!!

Louise your review got me thinking if I rated the book wrong..and the picture...I'm in Awe:)

Crista So glad to hear you loved this one! This one's up next for me.....

Aestas Book Blog ooooo *SQUEE* you are in for a HUGE treat!!!! These are pretty much on of my TOP fav series ever. LOOOOOOOVE then :D Enjoy!!

message 83: by Aly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly anything similar guys plssssss i need more books to read

message 84: by Julie (new)

Julie scott I have been umming & arrring abt whether 2 read tbis novel or not but after reading a sample of the novel 2 day n a heap of reviews i will definely HAVE 2 read "Bated to You"......Can't wait

Aestas Book Blog Julie, you totally have to... These books are amazinggggg <3

Aly - if you go to my blog, http://aestasbookblog.com , you'll see a bunch of my recs

Daphne Delacroix Just a question, Im currently reading this book and I know that Gideon is 28, but I couldn't find any info on Eva's age. How do you know she's 24?

Aestas Book Blog I think it said it at some point in the book. I usually make note of physical description when I see it but considering its been months since I read it, I don't remember exactly where it said so

Daphne Delacroix Aww, too bad. I'll keep an eye out for it too, even though I'm over two-thirds into it already.

Aestas Book Blog Hey I just checked on my kindle for u cuz I had a moment... It's at the 90% mark :)

Daphne Delacroix Hey by the way you're right. My pdf edition is 397 pages and Im on page 356. I'm on the part where she's swearing the skimpy Vera Wang dress and Gideon says that her tits have grown bigger, so she berates him by saying she's 'twenty four years old' and stopped developing years ago!

YAY I GOT IT!

Daphne Delacroix *wearing
Not 'swearing'

Daphne Delacroix I just finished =) Did you read the questions for topics to discuss at the end? I thought a lot of them were very thought-provoking.

Aestas Book Blog I did see them :)

I hope you go on to book 2. It's fantabulous!!!

Daphne Delacroix I will when I get my 'paws' on it. Till then, I have 5 half-read books lying around that I have to, some time in the near future, finish.

Aestas Book Blog lol I know the feeling. But its totally worth it :)

Daphne Delacroix Obviously :) When is the third book coming out?

Daphne Delacroix Obviously :) When is the third book coming out?

message 99: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Nov 24, 2012 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Sometime between February and May. The date is still not determined. Book #2 does not have a cliffhanger though. I have a review of it up . No spoilers

message 100: by Daphne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daphne Delacroix Yeah, not even the first one had a cliffhanger. And which do you think is better, Mile High (Up In The Air, #2) by R.K. Lilley or this?