Alice's Reviews > Ballet Shoes

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: chicklit
Read in April, 2012

I think this is the best of the shoes books. The Fossil sisters are absolutely charming and there's lots of good behind-the-scenes theater stuff. The plot is lively and engrossing, and the Fossils' desire to support themselves and make a name for their family is admirable. Lots of characters to root for. I also love Petrova, the mechanically-obsessed sister, who reads books about engines while understudying. When she asks her mentor if girls can be chauffeurs, he answers, "Lots are." Many of Streatfeild's themes come into play in this book -- orphans, adopted children, pride coming before a fall, poverty-- but they all intermingle in a very satisfying way.

Also a wonderful read in tandem with Theatre Shoes to follow-up on the Fossils and to see how WW2 changed middle-class English life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ballet Shoes.

message 1: by carla (new)

carla These were among my favorites as a kid! I got my kids to read them, but they didn't love them as much as I did. Partially I think the WWII era setting is much farther for them than it was for me, and as you suggest, some in this series are stronger than others.
Still, I love the theme of finding what you are good at in life, and living that dream.