Travelling Sunny's Reviews > Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Mar 09, 13

bookshelves: 1305-read, nook
Read from August 30 to September 18, 2012

After reading Tolstoy's short story The Death of Ivan Ilych, I felt confident that I enjoyed the author's writing style enough to commit to a thousand page novel. And, I'm glad I did.

This was a five star book for me during the first six parts. But the last two parts - especially the last part which was added to the story by Tolstoy after he'd already finished his commitment to his publisher - was full of too much philosophical, religious, and political commentary to keep me entertained.

Nevertheless, I thoroughly loved the two completely separate love stories told in this book. Anna and Vronsky - their scandalous affair and the heartbreaking social effects of that affair for a woman in 19th century Russia - I both loved and hated Anna, and found myself glued to the pages during her scenes out of pure morbid curiosity. And then Kitty and Levin - oh, how I rooted for Levin. Oh, how I rooted for Kitty. They were adorable as they grew into their own throughout the book.

Totally worth the read!

03/07/2013 UPDATE:
I just watched the 2012 version of this movie, and it was spectacular! The cinematography was amazing and the actors really brought the characters to life for me.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Karenina.

Quotes Travelling Sunny Liked

Leo Tolstoy
“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”

Leo Tolstoy
“He went down trying not to look long at her, as though she were the sun, but he saw her, as one sees the sun, without looking.”

Leo Tolstoy
“All the girls in the world were divided into two classes: one class included all the girls in the world except her, and they had all the usual human feelings and were very ordinary girls; while the other class -herself alone- had no weaknesses and was superior to all humanity.”

Leo Tolstoy
“In infinite time, in infinite matter, in infinite space, is formed a bubble organism, and that bubble lasts a while and bursts, and that bubble is Me.”

Leo Tolstoy
“What am I coming for?" he repeated, looking straight into her eyes. "You know that I have come to be where you are," he said; "I can't help it.”

Leo Tolstoy
“But I'm married, and believe me, in getting to know thoroughly one's wife, if one loves her, as some one has said, one gets to know all women better than if one knew thousands of them.”

08/30/2012 page 116
09/05/2012 page 269
22.0% "The Atkins diet in 19th century Russia: "...he had to avoid gaining flesh, and so he eschewed farinaceous and sweet dishes.""
09/10/2012 page 690
58.0% "Only Tolstoy could so easily, with so few words, perfectly describe someone TRYING to make someone turn around and look at them!

"...she opened her eyes wide, as though to intensify the influence of her gaze.""
09/13/2012 page 927
78.0% "Yawn. Tolstoy and his politics. Moving on." 11 comments
09/14/2012 page 952
80.0% "Eel soup.
o.O"
09/17/2012 page 1005
85.0% "It's a boy!"
09/17/2012 page 1060
89.0% "No. No, no, no! NOOOOO!
Aw, come ON! Not ANNA?!?!?"
show 7 hidden updates…

Sophie Is it any good? I'm just finishing up Vanity Fair and then i am going to attempt it.

Travelling Sunny I am a Tolstoy fan at this point. I first read his short story The Death of Ivan Ilych and loved it. But, this is my first full-length novel by him. Still loving it. It's actually making me want to read War and Peace, a book I have avoided for years thinking it would be long, boring, stuffy, etc. But, I'm a bona fide convert now. Tolstoy's incredible!

message 3: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan I'm going to do some Tolstoy reading soon. I read some theoretical pieces recently which pointed out the brilliant aspects of his work. I also want to read Dostoevsky Crime and Punishment!

Sophie I'm only a few chapters in but I'm hooked! I love it how Tolstoy introduces a character into the story and then in the next chapter we are following the new character's story. That way we get all points of view and know their opinions, hopes and what they want.

Travelling Sunny I love the dialogues in the book. I have gasped - literally gasped - twice while reading the book, and I'm only a quarter of the way through. And there's a scene at a horse race (I don't want to say any more about it for fear of spoiling something) - but I was on the edge of my seat while reading about it. I would never have believed I would enjoy Tolstoy as much as I have been.

Susan It's a wonderful book. I read it yrs ago in high school - was one of my summer reads back when summer seemed to last forever!

Travelling Sunny Speaking of summers that last forever, the kiddies went back to school this week. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Susan Nice! Maybe there will be a tish more mom time again.

Sophie I'm the same, loved part of the book and would have given it 5 stars easily if it hadn't been for the boring bits that seemed to go on and on for ever. The characters were brilliant and the stories so interesting, i did really enjoy it though and i think its worth reading too.

message 10: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Great review! I'll definitely be reading some Tolstoy in the near future.

message 11: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Shannon I completely agree with you about the last 2 parts!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'm watching the movie right now and it is excellent.

Travelling Sunny Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I'm watching the movie right now and it is excellent."

Oh, the cinematography was gorgeous! I just loved the way the scenery changes were handled. And, it was true to the story as well, I thought!

message 15: by Shahbaz (new) - added it

Shahbaz Ahmed I'm used to read medical books but I'm new to everything else, wish me luck

Travelling Sunny I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!