Travelling Sunny's Reviews > The Diary of a Nobody

Sep 11, 12

bookshelves: 1305-read, gutenberg-project-rox
Read from May 16 to 17, 2012

May 16
I'm floored - positively flabbergasted - that I've never heard of this book until now. It took my looking for something to read from my list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.This is the hysterically funny account of Mr. Pooter, a typical, suburban, middle-class Englishman written in the late 1800s. And yet, it rarely read like a "classic" - it felt contemporary.

May 17
It reminded me a lot of a movie called The Money Pit with Tom Hanks in the beginning as Mr. Pooter shared his experiences and pitfalls with common home improvement projects. And, all throughout the book, I envisioned the narrator's voice as that of a stuffy, English person - making it that much more enjoyable. All throughout the book, Pooter attempts to be funny making puns, and while they are occasionally cute, the best part is Pooter's reaction to these puns, laughing outrageously at himself and thinking himself so clever. He's a riot!

It's a fairly quick read, and it's not heavy at all. Just the normal everyday life of a normal everyday man trying to get a leg up in this world. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a recommendation for one of the books on THE LIST.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Nobody.

05/16/2012 "
I've read this is supposed to be hilarious."
20.0% "HOW is it that I've never heard of this book? It's on the 1001 list, and is a classic. HYSTERICAL! It doesn't even FEEL like an old book - I LOVE IT!"

Travelling Sunny oops. typo.