Kemper's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Apr 12, 2012

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult, 2012
Read from April 12 to 22, 2012

When it comes to The Hunger Games, I feel like I’m walking into the ballroom in my tuxedo with a bottle of champagne in each hand only to find no one there except for a lone janitor sweeping up confetti along with a couple of people passed out under tables and there's only a bottle of crème de menthe left at the bar. In other words, I’m late to the party.

Since I’m so tardy, I don’t think there’s anything I can add, particularly since YA isn’t my usual thing. So I’ll just give it four stars and note a few things that stuck out for me:

* I particularly liked the way that Collins portrayed the reality television aspect to the games. The idea that the smart contestants have to play a role in order to get public support even as they’re fighting for their lives was a good way to work some subtle points about the nature of watching people who know they’re being observed.

* Collins also did a nice job of depicting the ‘hunger’ aspect of this. The descriptions of the food deprived District 12, Katniss’s constant struggle to literally put bread on the table, and then her fascination with the rich food of the Capital kept you aware of how food was always on her mind. It also had me constantly raiding the fridge.

* This reminded me a lot of Stephen King’s The Long Walk (Written under his Richard Bachman alias originally.) in a good way. That story also featured young people competing in a brutal public contest that was orchestrated by the government for the amusement of the masses. This gave me the urge to reread it.

* I’ve got a teenage niece who went through an unfortunate Twilight phase, but she came through unscathed and is a big fan of this series. I’m tremendously glad about that because I obviously prefer her using the tough and independent Katniss as a role model rather than Bella Swan. I’d rather see her running through the woods hunting humans with a bow-n-arrow rather than pining over pale losers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Megs ♥ Well...How is it? :-)

Kemper Meg ♥ wrote: "Well...How is it? :-)"

I'm just getting into it. So far it's making me hungry.

Trudi ::snicker:: Smartass.

message 5: by Kemper (last edited Apr 16, 2012 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kemper Trudi wrote: "::snicker:: Smartass."

Trudi So true! There is a powerful theme of food -- both gluttony and deprivation -- that runs through this book. When thinking about an Apocalyptic landscape, zombies or roving gangs of cannibals wouldn't upset me nearly as much as going hungry :)

Stephanie "both gluttony and deprivation."

Sounds like the good old USA.

Richard Derus *munchmunch*

Mmm, good taco, now where's Kemper with that review?

Kemper Simmer down, people. I'm on like page 52. It's gonna be a minute.

Ronyell Ooh! I can't wait to here what you think about this book!

Carol. Kemper wrote: "I'm being completely serious. How could you read about Katniss being hungry and worrying about starving and not feel the urge for a sandwich?"

Trudi Very nice :)

Ronyell Awesome review Kemper!! I really enjoyed this book and I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I've often felt like I was the last person at the party too when it comes to reading books that are the rave.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* Good review. I wasn't aware they The Long Walk by King (Under Bachman) was a little similar. I recently picked up The Long Walk and because of this am even more curious to read it.

Kemper Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Kemper!! I really enjoyed this book and I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I've often felt like I was the last person at the party too when it comes to reading books that are the rave."

Thanks. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who runs late.

Kemper Erin wrote: "Good review. I wasn't aware they The Long Walk by King (Under Bachman) was a little similar. I recently picked up The Long Walk and because of this am even more curious to read it."

I'm definately going to reread it in the near future.

Kemper Carol wrote: "That's 'sammich' to you, Mister Officer. I see the acting lessons haven't stuck, therefore, I sentence you to watching Smokey and the Bandit I, II and III until you refer to all food between slices of bread in the appropriate fashion.

I broke character and read/reviewed this as myself because I figured that Sheriff Justice wouldn't be interested in no story about hungry girls runnin' round the woods. Hence, the sammich lapse. All apologies.

Stephanie "All apologies."

But you lapsed into Kurt Cobain.

Kemper Stephanie wrote:But you lapsed into Kurt Cobain."

Must have forgotten to take my Lithium.

Stephanie Kemper wrote: "Stephanie wrote:But you lapsed into Kurt Cobain."

Must have forgotten to take my Lithium."

Bad idea.

Kemper I'm just gonna hide in my heart shaped box...

Trudi Groan. Let me guess ... while drinking a cup of pennyroyal tea? LOL. I absolutely ADORE The Long Walk and have probably read it a half dozen times, and I bet if I see you re-reading it I won't be able to stop myself from picking it up yet again :)

Tracy Great review. I am now both hungry and I want to read The Long WalkThe Long Walk.

Brandon Trudi wrote: "Groan. Let me guess ... while drinking a cup of pennyroyal tea? LOL. I absolutely ADORE The Long Walk and have probably read it a half dozen times, and I bet if I see you re-reading it I won't be a..."

The Long Walk is tremendous and vastly underrated. It's something I've wanted to re-read for a while now.

Great review, Kemper!

Kemper Tracy wrote: "Great review. I am now both hungry and I want to read The Long Walk."

You can eat a sammich while reading the The Long Walk and satisfy both urges.

message 26: by Kemper (last edited Apr 27, 2012 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kemper Brandon wrote: "Trudi wrote: "Groan. Let me guess ... while drinking a cup of pennyroyal tea? LOL. I absolutely ADORE The Long Walk and have probably read it a half dozen times, and I bet if I see you re-reading i..."

I always thought Long Walk was one of King's more underrated books too, maybe because it was originally one of his Bachman ones that flew under the radar. I'm anxious to reread now and see if my memory of it is accurate.

message 27: by Iam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iam Fine enjoyed this book for many of the same reasons you gave---but I'm not interested enough to finish the series---Peeta was getting on my last nerve! Will you finish the series?

Stepheny Great review, Kemper! I thought it was very reminiscent of both The Long Walk and The Running Man! It was almost a mash-up of the two! :) Loved your review though! Spot on!

message 29: by Ása (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ása Margrét Good review loved this quote "I’m tremendously glad about that because I obviously prefer her using the tough and independent Katniss as a role model rather than Bella Swan. I’d rather see her running through the woods hunting humans with a bow-n-arrow rather than pining over pale losers."

Hope more young girls do the same :)

Kemper Ása wrote: "Good review loved this quote "I’m tremendously glad about that because I obviously prefer her using the tough and independent Katniss as a role model rather than Bella Swan. I’d rather see her runn..."

I bought my niece a bow-and-arrow for Xmas....

message 31: by Ása (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ása Margrét Haha thats awesome :)

Miquel Reina Cool review Kemper! ;)