Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Jan 14, 13

bookshelves: i-need-to-buy-this-book, young-adult, fairy-tales, sci-fi, 2013-release, fantasy, macmillan, 2-am-or-later, 2012-favs, 2012-reads, cool-author, i-need-the-next-book-like-yesterday, i-really-enjoyed-it, omg-that-ending, original-and-creative, strong-heroine, dat-cover-yo
Recommended to Steph by: Me!
Recommended for: Fans of Cinder and Fairy Tail retellings
Read from October 17 to 26, 2012, read count: 1

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up comparing the two and dislike Scarlet. But let me tell you! When Cinder was unsure of herself in the beginning, Scarlet is fierce. Who's afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf? Not Scarlet.

I should warn you that this review *will* contain spoilers for Cinder. So, if you haven't read book one...

Photobucket

Scarlet picks up directly after Cinder left off. Cinder's busy breaking out of jail, Kai is trying to placate Levana (the wretch) and we get to meet Scarlet (yay!). And if you can't remember the finer details about what happened previously, there is a nice little recap.

The biggest difference between this installment and Cinder is the point-of-view flipping. And with that, you have two different main characters with two separate goals. Scarlet's is to find her missing grandmother, who was abducted and Cinder's is to escape from the Eastern Commonwealth and... not get caught. Somewhere along the way their paths intertwine and revelations are had. Now, here's the thing: Though, overall, I did enjoy Scarlet, there are still a few things I really disliked about it too. Don't give me that look! There is method to my madness.

Things I liked:

1. The new characters - Along with meeting Scarlet, we also are introduced to two other characters, the wolf, who travels to Paris with Scarlet in search of her grandmother and Carswell Thorne, a womanizer and fugitive that escaped prison with Cinder. I thought they were both great characters, especially Thorne, who I happen to love and hate at the same time. Wolf is a bit more complex because of his past (which I can't talk about due le spoilers), but I like the mystery surrounding his character.

Scarlet is fantastic. I mean, the girl wears a red hoodie and carries a gun in her belt. Sweet and innocent? *pfft* How about sweet and deadly?

She's all about action and doesn't take "no" for an answer. She doesn't sit back and wait for someone else to save her grandmother. And I think the best way to describe her would be to quote Ms. Frizzle from The Magic School Bus: "Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!" So, while she isn't a perfect character, she certainly is determined to do whatever it takes to reach her goal. I loved that about her and I think other readers will too or at least respect her spirit.

2. I also really enjoyed the plot and back story. We get to find out more about Cinder's past and how she ended up ended up on earth and who helped her. I really think Meyer did a good job at telling two different stories and later having them weave together. And I really like seeing Scarlet and Cinder together. I only wish that they had teamed up sooner than the ending.

Things I didn't like:

1. At times it felt like there was too much story to tell. (Maybe this was just me wanting more from Scarlet.) Even though Scarlet is longer than Cinder, I'd even say that I think that there was too much happening in this installment and not enough time spent developing the new characters or the new relationships, which, incidentally, leads to my next con...

2. I'm not sure I liked Scarlet and Wolf's relationship. Since the novel very frequently flips back and forth from Scarlet to Cinder and even Kai, there wasn't much page time the reader is left developing some kind of connection with their relationship. Actually, they themselves didn't even have much time developing anything and by the end, I found it all rather cheesy. And while they do both admit that they've developed feelings for one another (in a matter of days), it never felt real because I was too busy keeping up with all the story arcs.

3. I missed Kai and Cinder being together. Kai is in the book, but I missed the chemistry they had in Cinder. I think Wolf and Scarlet's romance was supposed to fill the void temporarily, but since I didn't really spend much time with them, the sparks never flew for me. Perhaps in book three, Cress, things will be different. But right now, I have my doubts considering it looks like we will be meeting even more characters. I'm starting to wonder if this world is just too big for this series. Ah, well. We'll see.

The Ending:

'Cause, yeah, it needs its own section.

Kai. WHY?! WHY? WHY? WHY?

Photobucket

Okay. I think I need a moment to process that ending. *breathes in and out*

Did that just make you want to read this book even more than you already did? Oops.

So, in conclusion, even though I liked Cinder more, Scarlet was still a fun and exciting read. Meyer has built an interesting world, making "old faces" from fairy tales new again. And I know you're probably giving me dagger eyes for the little bit above, but just think how hard it will be for me to wait for Cress. It's torture, I tell ya.

ARC was provided by Macmillan. Thank you!

More reviews and other fantastical things at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
----------------
GAH!!! LOOK AT THE PRETTY COVER!!!

And I just found out about the new Sailor Moon anime!! Too much awesome for one day. I shall be off in my corner spontaneously combusting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

10/18/2012 page 32
6.0% "Very clever." 8 comments
10/20/2012 page 187
40.0% "Ohhhh... The wolf is hiding something!"
10/24/2012 page 310
66.0% "And the plot thickens!" 5 comments

message 1: by Vanessa (last edited Jul 06, 2012 08:15AM) (new) - added it

Vanessa Wait, a NEW Sailor Moon anime?! AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! *squeals*

ALSO IT'S GOING TO HAVE A WORLDWIDE SIMULCAST. SQUEE!!!

Steph Sinclair Sei wrote: "Wait, a NEW Sailor Moon anime?! AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! *squeals*

ALSO IT'S GOING TO HAVE A WORLDWIDE SIMULCAST. SQUEE!!!"

YES, YES, YES! I WILL BE SETTING THE DVR.

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) will Haruka and Michiru be in it?

message 4: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Synesthesia wrote: "will Haruka and Michiru be in it?"

Probably! I don't think they're going to deviate from the manga.

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) I wonder if they will still be lesbionic. The US could not handle the lesbianicness so they made them COUSINS. ARG. They ruined one of the most romantic episodes! *sob*

Steph Sinclair Synesthesia wrote: "I wonder if they will still be lesbionic. The US could not handle the lesbianicness so they made them COUSINS. ARG. They ruined one of the most romantic episodes! *sob*"

Well, times have changed so hopefully things will be different. And let's hope we actually complete the series this time!

message 7: by Vanessa (last edited Jul 06, 2012 08:36AM) (new) - added it

Vanessa Synesthesia wrote: "I wonder if they will still be lesbionic. The US could not handle the lesbianicness so they made them COUSINS. ARG. They ruined one of the most romantic episodes! *sob*"

Well, I believe the French dub actually gave poor Haruka a sex change. Yeah. Haruka was called Frederic in 'civvy' form, but also a female Sailor Scout...

Charlotte Complete contrast to JKR's cover. Totally stoked to read this!

Hailee NEW SAILOR MOON ANIME?!! BEST DAY EVER!!

Mithrendiel ahhhh - so jealous!! :)

Skyla I iz jealous right now.

Steph Sinclair It JUST came in the mail and now I must put all other books away. :D

Shiku Same here!

Skyla They better have Uranus and Neptune as lovers again. They are my favorite lesbian couple I mean come on who doesn't think Neptune is like the most beautiful girl...or is that just me?

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) Neptune is awesome. I always liked Haruka a lot because she wore suits and had a cool speaking voice.

Skyla Synesthesia wrote: "Neptune is awesome. I always liked Haruka a lot because she wore suits and had a cool speaking voice."

That too =)

message 17: by Stardrag (new)

Stardrag OMG Sailor Moon!? Wait, I'm almost a 22 year old man...hmmm...to watch it or to say I didn't watch it and do it anyways.

message 18: by Sally (new) - added it

Sally Girl, I'm 23 and I'm just as excited. :P

Steph Sinclair Stardrag wrote: "OMG Sailor Moon!? Wait, I'm almost a 22 year old man...hmmm...to watch it or to say I didn't watch it and do it anyways."

You are never too old to love Sailor Moon! I proudly talk about it to any and all.

message 20: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi Vi HOW IS IT?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard *dies of jealousy*

Steph Sinclair Vi wrote: "HOW IS IT?"

I haven't started it yet! I was in the middle of Froi when it arrived and I can't start until I at least finish Froi. *surrounded by too many good books*

@Cassi, I have a feeling it may go up on NetGalley like Cinder did!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I most certainly hope so. I loved Cinder.

message 24: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi Vi lol what an awesome 'problem' to have! SO in love with Cinder and the Sailor Moon-y vibe. Let us know when you do start and updates updates updates!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

How....how did you get this one!!?

message 26: by Stardrag (new)

Stardrag If I believed in anything right now, I'd pray that the book is as pretty as the cover.

Steph Sinclair Stardrag wrote: "If I believed in anything right now, I'd pray that the book is as pretty as the cover."

I've only just started, but it's a strong start!

Lyn wrote: "How....how did you get this one!!?"

The publisher sent me an ARC for review.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Stardrag wrote: "If I believed in anything right now, I'd pray that the book is as pretty as the cover."

I've only just started, but it's a strong start!

Lyn wrote: "How....how did you get this ..."

Well, I'd be mad, but you are really awesome, Stephanie.

I look forward to your review!

message 29: by Stardrag (new)

Stardrag Happy for you Stephanie! It doesn't sound like the usual romance book from the descriptions. Lol, maybe the dreaded instant love triangle won't rear it's ugly head.

Katherine OMG I CANT BELIEVE YOUR READING THIS!!! JEALOUS!!! How is it??!! Details please!!!

Steph Sinclair Katherine wrote: "OMG I CANT BELIEVE YOUR READING THIS!!! JEALOUS!!! How is it??!! Details please!!!"

It's really good so far!

message 32: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Scarlet was amazing!! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it! :)

Kaitlyn *Nandos* Horan Oh my god!! You got Scarlet already?? :O I am so jealous!!!!! Is it really good so far??

Steph Sinclair Kaitlyn *Nandos* wrote: "Oh my god!! You got Scarlet already?? :O I am so jealous!!!!! Is it really good so far??"

I'm finding it a little slower than Cinder was, but I still really like it. :)

Tabitha (Pabkins) My jealousy is a bottomless pit of despair here....wants it must haves it. *cries pitifully*

message 36: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel I NEED this book.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

No joke, Mel. I'd give a kidney for this book.

message 38: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph My brother will freak about Sailor Moon.

message 39: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph My brother will freak about Sailor Moon.

Shiku What? What is it with Kai? NOOOO. Q.Q

message 41: by Lynn ಠ_ಠ (new) - added it

Lynn ಠ_ಠ what what whaaat?!

Kaylee Magic OMG KAI?!

Kaitlyn *Nandos* Horan What happened to Kai??? Please do not say he died. OH. MY. GOD. PLEASE TELL ME HE DID NOT DIE!

Steph Sinclair No, he didn't die, but he did something incredibly stupid that just might get him killed in book 3. *weeps*

message 45: by Stefani (new) - added it

Stefani Okay, I am gonna *fish smack* STOP BEING SO CRYPTIC!! Your status updates have me losing my mind! I was already frothing to get this book and your making it worse :P

Shambhawi P. Stephanie wrote: "No, he didn't die, but he did something incredibly stupid that just might get him killed in book 3. *weeps*"

SPEAK NO MORE!!

OMG MY NEED WANT FOR THIS BOOK HAS NO BOUNDS!!! YOU JUST MADE ME WANT IT EVEN MORE!!!

Shiku Stephanie wrote: "No, he didn't die, but he did something incredibly stupid that just might get him killed in book 3. *weeps*"

...
The sound you just heard was my heart breaking.

message 48: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi Vi Feels kind of spoilerish to me even without the details :( Wish I hadn't read that.

Shambhawi P. Vi wrote: "Feels kind of spoilerish to me even without the details :( Wish I hadn't read that."

Yeah, me too. It is bad enough having to wait so long *sigh*

Steph Sinclair Aww, guys! It will be okay! (I hope...)

« previous 1