Olivia--Porcrastinator Extraordinaire's Reviews > The Duke's Perfect Wife

The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer Ashley

Apr 12, 12

Read from April 10 to 12, 2012

Much like the previous works in the series, it was pleasantly enjoyable with just the right touch of angst. I looked forward to reading Hart's story for quite some time, and it did not disappoint in my opinion. Hart was further defined beyond what we came to expect of him through his brother's stories; we got to really see how his inner desire to not just control, but to take care of everybody proved both his greatest attribute, but also his greatest flaw. Of course, Eleanor makes his realize when his desire to control went entirely too far while experiencing her own personal growth.

As for Eleanor, I normally am not so much of a fan of the "fiery, independent redhead" trope so often utilized in romance, but Jennifer Ashley developed it in such a way that it seemed to be a natural inquisitiveness within Eleanor's character rather than a shell of an idealistic historic romance heroine.

Of course seeing all of the previous characters, particularly Ian, really helped to develop the plot quite nicely. It was exciting, but not too excessively explanatory or wordy, which I'm afraid happens way too much in mystery oriented historical romance. I felt what the characters felt, and I was intensely relieved to come to the HEA particularly since there were a few moments where I wondered how it could possibly work out. It felt natural and conclusive, not too quick, but not too long either. Definitely worth the read for fans of the Mackenzie series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke's Perfect Wife.