Giselle's Reviews > By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

F_50x66
Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: advisory-2011-2012-bookshelf

By the Time You Read This, I'll be Dead by Julie anne Peters is a novel about a girl named Daelyn who has attempted suicide several times after being bullied because of her weight and sexually abused by a boy she trusted. after her recent suicide attempt, she now has to wear a neck brace and is mute. She meets a boy named Santana who shows a great interest in her and tries to become her friend. Because Daelyn doesn't trust people very much, she usually shuts him out, but soon they become closer. While all of this is happening, Daelyn is still deciding to end her life and reads the stories of other suicidal people online.

The main message of this book is that bullying is something that should not be taken lightly. Bullying can cause people to suffer from traumatic experiences, and also many people who cannot take the bullying tries to commit suicide. Basically, I think the author is trying to say that society as a whole should not ignore bullying and other forms of abuse because it can cause many damaged individuals. It may seem funny or amusing at the time, but not to the one receiving it.

I loved the book because I thought it was really deep and dark. It definitely made me very emotional. I could feel the feelings Daelyn experienced, and I also loved how Santana and Daelyn were developed. I especially loved the relationship between Santana and Daelyn. I really wish the author could make a seuel or something. The end left me off hanging. :/ I don't recommend this book to people who cannot handle such a dark storyline.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead.