Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > Burning Marguerite

bookshelves: all-fiction, miss-trees
Recommended to Jeanette by: rosen
Read in January, 2009

3 1/2 stars

With just a little more depth, this would have been a four-star book for me. There were some things left unexplained about certain characters that left their motivations a little fuzzy. However, this was still a very captivating story. I read all but the last 20 pages in one night!! The prose is very smooth and light, making it very easy to read. This kind of prose always makes me suspect an author of secretly being a poet.

This is a very different sort of mystery in that you don't really know what the mystery is that you're digging toward until you get close to the end of the book. James Jack Wright finds Marguerite, his beloved "Tante" that raised him, dead in the snow at the age of 94. He can't let anyone know she's dead right away because of a promise he made to her to do a certain thing after she died.

The chapters alternate between James Jack in the present and Marguerite telling the story of her life. She sort of moves backward and forward in time, eventually working back to long ago events that determined the way she would live the rest of her life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Marguerite.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charisse (new) - added it

Charisse Can't wait to hear what you think about this!! It's sitting on my pile ;)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I'll let ya know just as soon as I start back at the beginning! I started it at 1:30 a.m. and thought it seemed like it was going to be good, but had to get some sleep. Then when I picked it up again today I couldn't remember anything I'd read, so I'll have to start over!