Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy

Apr 23, 2012

Read from April 12 to 15, 2012

The Good Stuff

Absolutely delightful, one of my favorite middle school reads in the past year
Laugh out loud funny
Something for readers of all ages
Strong female characters & nothing sterotypical
Fabulous character development
Has a Shrek, Hoodwinked, How to Train Your Dragon feel to it
I was laughing so hard that Jake actually asked if he could read it when I was done
Awesome cover
Love that Briar Rose is a nasty piece of work - some of her dialogue is priceless
Cannot wait to see the finished product to see the rest of the artwork that will be included - only drawback about getting ARC copies - but think it will be awesome based on artwork included in ARC
Nice moral, life lessons included in a non shmaltzy in your face way which kids, and old bags like me adore
Unusual plot twists that keep you on your toes and you have no idea what is going to happen next - again not at all sterotypical
Looking forward to future books in this series - next one I believe is scheduled for 2013

The Not So Good Stuff

Some repetition might have been a tighter story with a wee bit editing
People were staring at me on the bus because I was reading a kids book and laughing hysterically
Almost impossible to only pick three quotes for my quotes section

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"Instead of simply frying the man where he stood, Zaubera offered to let him go in exchange for his young daughter. The peasant was surprisingly quick to agree to this (he was not a very good dad), and that was how Zaubera ended up with Rapunzel."

"We all know somebody who's a bit eccentric - the girl who talks to herself, maybe, or the boy who eats the erasers of his pencils like they're gumdrops. They could be wonderful people, but thanks to their quirky behavior, they don't have the easiest time making friends."

"On still another road, a green-haired man wobbled by on peppermint-stick stilts; a fiery-plumed bird of paradise perched on his shoulder. But he's not in this story, so don't pay any attention to him."

Who Should/Shouldn't Read

Perfect for both intended audience of middle school kids and for adults - Teachers and Librarians this would be a good read a loud book that you could do over a semester/term
Jake is begging me to hurry up and finish so he can read

4.5 Dewey's

I received this from HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review & Jake will be reviewing as well as soon as he is caught up on his school work

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom.

04/13 page 215