Rachel Hancock's Reviews > Dolphins at Daybreak

Dolphins at Daybreak by Mary Pope Osborne

Apr 12, 2012

bookshelves: book-commercial
Read in April, 2012

Do you like tales of adventure? Do you like getting swept away into another world? Do you like learning about nature? If so, “Dolphins at Daybreak” is the perfect book for you! Mary Pope Osborne’s book is a part of the Magic Tree House collection and takes readers on an exciting adventure as two children try to solve a riddle.

In this book, Jack and Annie are given a riddle that says, “Rough and gray as rock, I’m plain as plain can be. But hidden deep inside, there’s great beauty in me. What am I?” After they hear this, Jack and Annie go on an adventure to learn more. They are swept from the Magic Tree House to a coral reef and board a mini-submarine. The children accidentally submerge the mini-sub and go on an adventure exploring the ocean as they attempt to solve the riddle. As they’re exploring, an octopus latches onto the sub and squeezes it so tightly that it gives the sub cracks and water begins to enter in. Next, black ink is emitted from the octopus to signal a nearby shark. Jack and Annie see the shark and are extremely scared. They decide to calmly swim away, however, the sharks are very near and the children are nervous. Just as the children are getting tired from swimming, two dolphins come by and allow Jack and Annie to hold onto them as they take them back to the reef and rescue you from the sharks. In the end, the children see an oyster on the beach and realize that that is the answer to their riddle. Even though the oyster was on the reef all along, the kids are thankful they got to have an adventure, although they were certainly scared of the sharks!

I really enjoyed this book and think young readers would love it. I liked the adventure and found myself to immediately like Jack and Annie’s characters. Also, I loved the educational elements of this book and learned many new things, especially about how pearls are made inside of oysters. Finally, I think young readers would love the adventure that this book takes them on and like that it allows them to see things from other kid’s perspectives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dolphins at Daybreak.