Bonnie's Reviews > Look Into My Eyes

Look Into My Eyes by Lauren Child

May 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, abandoned
Read from April 12 to May 07, 2012

Harrumph. This is the second middle grade book I've picked up in so many days that gets rid of the parents by making them idiots. Explicitly. Disappointing to say the least, especially since both are authors I like and have chuckled with in the past. (The other title is Polly Horvath's Mr. and Mrs. Bunny.)

We all know that in children's literature the parents must be dealt with (i.e. eliminated) for the children to have the adventures that make the story, and we have seen them die in a variety of ways, mysteriously disappear, or simply be distracted by divorce/work/life. Now it appears that these authors (and others?) are sinking to the lowest common denominator level of a Disney Channel/Nickelodeon sitcom peopled with inane adults and it's-a-good-thing-I'm-so-capable-that-I-can-save-the-world-and-the-adults-too kids. Really? In this day of travel, e-commuting, blended families and all the other options, I should think a more creative solution might present itself. Perhaps simply the reality that even engaged parents are not necessarily an integral part of their children's struggles and adventures and can sometimes even be more trusting and gullible than they should. (This as a parent of three, two of them teenagers.)

Full disclosure: I have not gotten through the entirety of either book yet, so there is still time for the parents to be redeemed. I can only hope.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Into My Eyes.