Greg Sisco's Reviews > Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

Incident On and Off a Mountain Road by Joe R. Lansdale

Apr 12, 12

This is a mediocre short story that could have benefited from stronger characters. The whole story is essentially an action/chase scene with occasional references to a romance the heroine once had with a man who taught her self-defense. You get a basic idea of who the main character is but not enough to care about whether she lives or dies, which kills the suspense through most of the story. I probably would have given a two-star review if not for a pretty strong ending that adds a bit of depth to the character and puts an interesting cap on the story. It's quite a satisfying conclusion, but for me it's not quite enough to make up for a pretty dry read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incident On and Off a Mountain Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by U.L. (new)

U.L. Harper I don't know about the story but i liked the review.

Greg Sisco U.L. wrote: "I don't know about the story but i liked the review."

Well, thanks. A couple weeks after having finished, I can now say for certain that it has left no mark on me and virtually the entire story has been forgotten. Probably one to skip unless you're a big Lansdale fan.

message 3: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Christian oh man, did you pick this as your first Joe Lansdale read? For shame. Try "The Bottoms" or any of the Hap and Leonard novels.

Greg Sisco Yeah, it was the first time I'd read Lansdale. I'm not entirely opposed to giving him another shot at some point. There were elements I liked but overall it didn't work for me. I'll keep The Bottoms in mind.